I am from the wood table, from the living room furniture.

I am from the nerf guns and skateboards and drawing

Supplies.

I am from the cement roads, from the city skyscrapers.

I am from Evan and Susan. I am from the political arguments

And the complaining.

I am from Barney Greengrass on the corner and

West. I am from the rock and roll stories of my dad. I am from

I am from a welcoming family in a loud and not so welcoming

city.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Welcomed in a Not So Welcoming City by Zachary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katie 11 months ago

I like how your writing flows, you included both the city aspect and the home aspect. This was a great piece of writing

2. Dinakar 12 months ago

I love how this poem flows and explains your background. It really gives u a good feeling and makes you happy. Keep going! This is a great start to poetry. Great job

3. Jason 12 months ago

I really like how you took everything in your life and put it into this poem it reminds me of some things that I did when I was younger. The way you ended this is very powerful. The whole none welcoming city hits me hard and really grabs my attention. Very nice work.

4. Sejal 12 months ago

I really like like the way you’ve written this. It’s projects like these that really make you think about what’s important in life. I think your adaptation of George Ella Lyon’s poem is really well done and thoughtful.

5. Allie 12 months ago

So cool how you described aspects of your childhood while describing how where you’re from shaped you. Also I can totally relate to the political arguments.