In the book, My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult, the sister Kate has Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APL). At first, I had no idea what this was so I had to do some research on what it was.

During my research, I learned many things about it, and in my opinion it is scary. Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia is when the bone marrow creates many cells called promyelocytes. Then those promyelocytes, they tend to gather and block out healthy blood cells. Thus causing an infection and a lot of bleeding. 

People with APL develop pale skin, excessive tiredness, bruises, little red dots under skin, nose bleeds, bleeding gums, and blood in urine. As you can tell, there is a lot of bleeding when having APL and sadly doctors diagnose children 8-10 years olds. 

There are treatments. In fact, there are three treatments for this. It is still a sad situation and after researching about this, I now know more about what I am reading.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APL) by Evanny is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.