Dear Future President of the United States,

Congrats on being the new U.S president. Was it hard to get to this place for you? Well, I have two important issues that are happening right now that need to be solved.

An important issue that I care about is police brutality. This is a major issue in our country. In the United States today has a very strong police department, recently a lot of African-American people are receiving a lot of violence towards them without those people doing anything against U.S laws. I think it is unjust that the police department thinks that they have enough power to go around and start killing black people.

According to an article in News ELA about a young juvenile he was playing with a toy gun and White man saw him and he thought that it was a real gun. The first thought that popped into my mind was how would a young boy can have access to a real gun and not have his parents know that he has access to that particular gun. A few moments after the misunderstanding policemen came and out of nowhere the police shot the young boy.

When you are a president, please consider police brutality because a lot of unfair justice is happening in our country and it is not fair that the police believe that they have so much power to go around and kill without a reason.I just don’t have enough words to say how brutal police departments are treating black people I just ask myself how about if that juvenile was a White boy would they have treated this scenario.

Another important issue in our country is how kids use social media. If you haven’t noticed yet, a lot of kids get bullied in schools and through social media. In my opinion, I think kids at some point their parents should check what they post or they follow. I have social media but older or even younger kid take the advantage of that privilege and take to use it for who knows what.

A lot of kids younger than 15 years old commits suicide because of those posts or comments. A lot of them get bullied because of their physical size, their skin color and a lot of people nowadays don’t feel comfortable with their bodies. That is all those social media bullies want for you not want to live anymore.

In my opinion, I think that the social media bullies don’t realize the physical or the mentally abuse they do to their victims. It is not fair for innocent people to be bullied for something that they didn’t do or that it’s not their fault. It’s not fair for an average teenager to live a life that most teenagers do especially being in a world that is all through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook. This social media violence needs to be stopped.

Sincerely, Mariane

Photo by Paul Loubet

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why is the U.S so unfair these days? by Mariane is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lucas 9 months ago

I do not agree but I do not entirely disagree either. I believe that the police have reasons for their responses. Also, keep in mind that they are the people who keep this country safe. To disagree, there have been cases solved by having the suspect (a police officer) go to jail. This is something real and something is happening to stop it. Protests that are against police brutality use violence, but this is not the way. I believe the only way is to talk it out and give the police more options.

2. Zachary 10 months ago

Mariane,
    Hello there. Though this is well written, I do find issues with it.
    Firstly, police brutality. Trust me when I say I’m no fan of law enforcement, not in the slightest. However, I would like to point out that police brutality is not racially based as you seem to imply. If you look at the number of deaths from police against people of other races, especially white people, it is quite evident that there is no racial bias in the police community. In general, far more white people tend to be slain by police officers than blacks. Does that mean that there is a bias against white people? No, of course not. However, the stories of these white people being shot do not get into the media as do black deaths, seeing as how the media in general, with the exception of certain sources like FOX, tend to lean towards the left, and report on stories that fit their agenda. Also, as for the young boy holding a toy gun, his shooting was by no means excusable. The officer should indeed be held responsible for his execution of a young boy in the street. I do, however, believe that the sentiment of the concerned individual who CALLED the police was valid: real or not, a gun in the middle of the street being wielded by someone appears to be menacing. The officer should instead have talked to the child and found out that was a toy. However, as for the citizen that called in, we cannot blame him for calling the police: any concerned citizen would do the same.
    Secondly, the subject of cyber-bullying. What happened to the individuals who have, and will continue to, commit suicide and self-harmed is tragic. This should not happen. However, one need only look at the Internet and some of its most popular websites to discover: people aren’t the same on the Internet. Perfectly nice people say horrible things that they do not mean on there. Take a look at 4chan, 8chan, Reddit, or even the comment sections of YouTube: people quite literally tell each other to kill each other on there all the time. They never mean it, though. If you get offended on the Internet, I do not think that the person who offended you should be held accountable. The Internet is not a place where you should take what other people say to heart. It’s a matter of thick skin: without it, the Internet will ravage you. While I do not condone the cruelty that is spoken on the Internet, I will say that I do not think that people should be so easily offended by comments on there, as about 99.9% of those comments aren’t anywhere near serious. This is just my perspective, however, and your thoughts on this would be welcome.
    Cheer,
    -Z

Mariane 9 months ago

Hey there Zachary,
      I really liked that you stopped by and left a very good comment polices are also brutal with white people and not just black but the article that I read about the little boy with the gun and there was a black little boy with a fake gun so that is why i used the black kid as an example

3. Vanessa 10 months ago

Dear Mariane,
    The issues that you would like to address to the future President are very valid and I would have to agree with you on these topics. I would like to first address the issue on police brutality and how serious of an issue this is. I like the fact that you had put some examples of what the cops are doing in our society, i really liked it. Once again I would like to say that this issue is something that needs to be stopped. The second issue that you talked about, the social media problem. I would also have to agree with what you have stated, cyberbullying is an issue that has been going on for quite some while, but I think that you are with nowadays social media playing a big role in bullying and it needs to be stopped. I have enjoyed what you had to say and I can’t wait to see what else you post.

4. Sarah 10 months ago

Hi Marianne, I think this article is very creative in that you decided to use a letter format to address two huge issues that need change. I agree that there are critical issues such as police brutality against african americans and bullying over social media but have you considered that there is just as much police brutality against whites and that just as many whites are killed by cops as blacks. I, being a Guyanese woman, am in no way defending police brutality but I think police brutality in general, not just against blacks, needs to be addressed. If you are fighting for the people then you cannot discriminate against the whites because they deserve to be fought for too. Also, as for bullying, I think addressing this problem is crucial too. Maybe there are ways to write to your own state congress and maybe they can help make things better faster than the president. Great ideas overall though.