Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is Gary Tuione.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is “Domestic Violence Against Women.” The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is women being violated by men because I hate the fact that women are being abused and can’t stop it on their own because of men having more advantages than women. The reason I feel this is an inequity is because women are being abused by men mentally, verbally, and physically. Therefore, I believe no women should be mistreated in any way for any reason whatsoever.

Right now, I believe a solution to this problem would be (Searching for solution)

Some might argue that women deserve to be abused or women are the main perpetrators of domestic violence, making my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

Gary Tuione

Fremont High School

CC BY-SA 4.0 Support in curating my sources: Domestic Violence Against Women by Gary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Hector 9 months ago

Gary, I’m glad that you brought out this problem for discussion. I think we should focus on issues like this who, we don’t usually hear of a case, but there’s thousands of women that have to deal with it. I found a web page that might help you: http://16days.thepixelproject.net/16-ways-to-stop-domestic-violence-in-your-community/
    This web page talks about prevention as a community and ways to solve this issue.

2. Katelyn 10 months ago

I feel that violence in domestic relationships is an extremely important issue, it holds special importance in my heart because my Mother and Nana both were in abusive marriages. I think that one of the most important ways to stop abusive relationships is to help women with opportunities so they are not trapped. The reason my Mother stayed with my father, as well as my Nana with her relationship, was that they both had children and had no easy way to pay for college to create a better situation for themselves. It was not until they had an education and access to good jobs, that they left the relationship.

3. Anna 10 months ago

I completely agree with your topic and believe we need to find a solution to this terrible problem. I think what might make this piece better is including some of the challenges women face and what women go through. Other than that nice job!

4. Jannette 10 months ago

Dear Gary,
    I agree that domestic violence against women is terrible. Nobody should even have the thought of abuse anyone, especially women. Just like you said “…because I hate the fact that women are being abused and can’t stop it on their own because of men having more advantages than women.” This means that men think/assume that they have control over their wives/girlfriends only because women are weaker than men. But then again there could be some violent women in the relationship. That’s all I have to say thanks for your post.:))

5. Shelby 10 months ago

I really like what you stand for and have going here. This link http://nomore.org supports the movement to stand up against domestic violence. I believe there is a petition you can sign to further spread awareness of this growing issue.

6. April 10 months ago

Dear Gary,

I am very satisfied with your post because I also believe women should take a stand against domestic violence. Also, that no women should be mistreated. One thing that stands out for me is “Women are being abused by men mentally, verbally and physically. “I think this is sad because women should be treated with nothing but respect. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your posts seem very
    interesting .

7. Zachary 10 months ago

Gary I like the fact that you are trying to find a solution and you are putting this on the internet for everybody to see and think more about.

8. Evanny 10 months ago

Dear Gary, I am interested in your post because many women are being abused and are not able to speak up about it. In my opinion, women who get abused physically and verbally should speak up. Not only women, but men also are being abused, but nobody really cares about men being abused which is very upsetting. It should be equal, both men and women should not go through any abuse. One thing you said that stands out for me is “I believe no women should be mistreated in any way for any reason whatsoever.” No men should also be mistreated, there have been cases where women have abused men. I feel as if both men and women shouldn’t have to go through any abuse or pain from anyone. I wish people whom are being abused speak up and put an end to it, it’s not right and it messes with the person being abused. Not only does it mess up the person being abused but the abuser. Without speaking up, the abuser will think it’s okay to abuse. I think this topic should be talk more.

9. Andrew 10 months ago

Gary,
    I agree with your statement that many female individuals are abused both mentally and physically. Its impossible to disagree, as there is a plethora of data to support this. However, it is premature and often incorrect to accuse one party or group as the intelligent offender. The social situation with men in woman is complex and not simple. Men and women engage in the game of reproduction, child rearing, and companionship. Because of this situation relationships between men and women are in no way simple. Often times women hurt men emotionally. It is important we alienate ourselves from the scapegoat ideology and work to bring equality amongst diverse individuals, not equality between two major groups.

10. Abbi 10 months ago

Gary,
    I am so happy about your choice of article. This is huge issue that must be addressed. I found a few links that may be helpful. Great job!

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1994-97960-000/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-842X.1998.tb01144.x/abstract

http://vaw.sagepub.com/content/4/3/262.short

11. Ellie 10 months ago

I think this definitely a good beginning of an article, and I think it has a lot of potential, but I think one thing you might want to include is the kind of disadvantages the women face and why this problem can’t be solved by them alone. I think that would bring some more clarity to your argument.

12. Mayree 10 months ago

Gary, I enjoyed reading this post and felt at ease while reading it. It feels good to know someone is looking into the inequity of domestic violence towards women. Being a young woman myself, I have personally never been treated in such a way, but that doesn’t mean it is not going on. I think I big place it happens is in the workforce, men look down on women and can be very cruel. Something does need to be said about the topic.

13. Emma 10 months ago

Gary,
    I was quite inspired by this post. I agree that domestic violence against women is at an all time high right now. I find it intriguing that with all the rape cases that are on the news that there isn’t much being done about the issue. I think we need to find a solution to end domestic violence against women and men for that matter. Domestic violence isn’t right either way. This was a great post.