Meditation is something that everyone should consider starting up. I wanted to research this  because I was looking for a new way to handle my stress. This seemed like an interesting and helpful way.

Starting meditation will immediately help you in everyday activities in life. Christina Rodenbeck, author of Meditation to Go says “meditation can improve confidence and self-control, inner certainty, and ability to focus and work efficiently” (Meditation to Go). This, of course, is something that everyone could use more of. People who consistently meditate are shown to have a higher ability to let go of negative emotions and have better personal relationships as well. Having these things in life is very highly coveted. Not everyone can achieve them, but those who do live better lives. If one can learn to meditate, their outlook and attitude will change, making them a better person all around.

Meditation not only has day-to-day benefits, but it is also full of health benefits also. A study done at the University of Utah found that people who practice meditation had “lower activation at bedtime, which could have benefits for….. future ability to manage stress” (Psychology Today). It is also shown to lower depression risks. Teens who practice the art of meditation experience less stress, anxiety, and depression. Not only that, but a study done at the University of California found that “cultivating mindfulness is an effective… technique for improving cognitive function” (Huffington Post). This is yet another bonus of meditation. All of these things are important to physical and mental health and can help a person in all aspects of life.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What are the benefits of meditation? by Mae is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Heidi 10 months ago

I found this to be very informative. I’ve been very interested in meditation, and this information, like the cited articles, was very helpful. Thank you Mae!

2. Karen 10 months ago

Thank you for sharing this information. There is a lot of research that seems to show the positive benefits of meditation and mindfulness. (Mindfulness is another thing you might want to look into. It has a lot of similarities to meditation, but it is also just an everyday way of being present all the time.)

I try to practice this myself, and I find it very helpful. One book I would recommend is “Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World.” The authors’ web site is http://franticworld.com/. (I also follow several mindfulness accounts on Twitter — it might seem that Twitter isn’t very “mindful” but I find that the little reminders help me.)

I will be interested to see more of your writing on this topic and others.