Dear Next President:

I am a high school student that goes to Fremont High in Oakland California named Gabriel Cuevas, and I am 17 years old.  

Some of the problems that the United States has are poverty, low income, and how health care is restricted to some people. 

One way that we can start changing poverty is by having poor people live in communities that are made for them. We can rebuild old communities and tell the poor to get with people that they are confident that they want to live with in them. They can have running water they can have food that they can cook and they can start looking for a job then when they have enough money they can move out and let someone else into the house.

Another way we can change low income is if we raise the minimum wage higher and people will start to make more money and people will have money to pay bills rent and  not end up on the street looking for a little money so they can eat or let their family eat and they would not have to sleep on the cold floor.

The last way we can change in the United States is we can make health care for everyone not justify the ones that have money to pay or have health care from work. Some people don’t work cause they got laid off and they get sick in the time looking for a job that they want. Also people that are poor don’t have health care always get sick and do not want to go to the hospital and they end up dead and people don’t care because they only care about them self.

So if we do these changes to the United States we will make the United States a better place and people that live in would live better without poverty and low income and health care for everyone.

Gabriel Cuevas-Gomez

Photo by m.a.r.c.

CC BY-SA 4.0 We Need Changes in Poverty, Income Inequality, and Health Care by Gabriel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mimi 10 months ago

I agree, poverty is an issue that desperately needs to be addressed in the United States. The plans that you suggest are good ones in theory, but they are very expensive which is why they are so hard to implement realistically. I like your ideas, good job!

2. Miguel 10 months ago

Good job Gabriel, I love how you address how homeless people go through may struggles and not even homeless people. People want change in this country with the income, I love how you’re addressing this issue.