The minimum wage has been an issue long debated over the past decade. The question is whether it should be raised, kept the same, or even lowered. Many Americans are split in response to this question, and it is understandable. Raising or lowering the minimum wage would each have its advantages and disadvantages. The minimum wage should be raised. Too many people are becoming homeless and are resorting to crime to gain income. I come from India, where the population is the second highest in the world. Most people are considered in poverty and are not able to support their children. In the United States, this issue needs to be addressed before the population erupts.In fact, as stated by the Society for Human Resource Management, “A full-time, minimum-wage worker earns about $15,000 per year, which is below the federal poverty line for a worker with just one child” (Cooper). If we raise the minimum wage, many people will have a better quality of life.

On the other hand, lowering the minimum wage also has certain benefits. Lowering the minimum wage could allow more people to enter the workforce, as employers would be willing to hire more people. Some argue that lowering the minimum wage could even lower the amount of people in poverty. According to Preston Cooper, from the Foundation for Economic Education, “Raising the minimum wage would aid just a small share of those in poverty—while creating even higher barriers to entering the workforce for everyone else” (Cooper). The article talks about how lowering the minimum wage would allow more people to have an opportunity to work, and receive income for their families.

These issues have been mentioned in the recent presidential debates, and hopefully, will be addressed by our future president. It is evident that each side has its own pros and cons, but it is a decision that needs to be made.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Should be the Future of the Minimum Wage? by Sid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Miguel 10 months ago

Good job Sid, I like how you discussed differences between countries and how poverty in some of them can be very similar.

2. Tino 10 months ago

Good job Sid. I enjoyed reading your post. I liked how you made the comparison between the U.S. and India and how the poverty is similar.