Minimum wage is a highly debated topic. People on both sides are debating whether or not it should be increased or stay the same. The current minimum wage is a set value that federal government has set for one hour of work (currently $7.25/hour). I am in favor of raising minimum wage. Currently, families are having trouble making ends meet with two working parents. In the U.S. “ 2,561,000 workers (or 3.3% of the hourly paid working population) earn the federal minimum wage or below.” I think it is a problem that a percentage of the population is making less than the minimum . If it were to be raised people would use the extra money for their kids, living expenses, food and utilities. I also think that if the minimum wage were to rise the government would spend less on welfare. According to The CATO institute it  would be “harmful” and would “pass the higher costs on to consumers”  if we were to raise minimum wage.I think that might happen but it wouldn’t change drastically. Overall I think they should raise minimum wage but we won’t see the effects until it happens.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Minimum Wage in America by Tino is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Grace 10 months ago

Interesting topic. I really like how you picked a side and had a good argument for it. Good job