The book that I am currently reading is Graceling by Kristin Cashore. In this book, some people are born with a Grace, which is like a special skill. You will know that you are Graced because your eyes will be two different colors. The main character’s Grace is to kill. Her uncle, the king,forces her to use her Grace for his dirty work. Many people fear the Graced basically because they are different, just like now.

In the book, people will fear them or stay clear of them even for having an innocent Grace such as swimming. Just like now some people have such a closed mind that they only pay attention to all the stereotypes of people and not actually get to know a person of that race. People will ignore someone without realizing how that person might end up feeling. In the book, the main character Katsa always felt ashamed in a way and always noticed how people wouldn’t look at her directly and how they always stayed clear of them.

I hope that people start realizing that they shouldn’t just right away judge someone because of their stereotypes. However, I know that this won’t be an easy task especially because many people are too afraid to admit that they are wrong. This book doesn’t only show some cruelty of inequality but it also shows how women are capable of being independent and in no need of a man’s help. I do hope that many people will pick up this book and enjoy it as much as I have so far.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Let’s Work Together to Stop Inequality! by Monica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marisol 12 months ago

Dear Monica,
    I am really interested in the book you are currently reading. I and intrigued on how they have a special gift and how the main character’s grace is to kill. I would want to know what happens next with her uncle that is trying to make her kill.

2. Jasmin 12 months ago

Dear Monica,
    I am interested in your post because you show how your book connects to the real world. One thing you said that stands out to me is “I hope that people start realizing that they shouldn’t just right away judge someone because of their stereotypes.” I think this is interesting because that is exactly what people are doing everywhere. I believe that we shouldn’t judge people just because they are different. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next.