During seventh grade, I was in and out of the hospital with  a MRSA infection in my ankle. I know from first hand that there needs to be a cure for MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). I care about this political topic because I lost my foot to this and have used a prosthesis to walk ever since my foot was amputated. Having a prosthesis has for sure been a learning experience, but I try to make the best out of it. In the article, “Experimental antibiotic treats deadly MRSA infection,” by Robin Lally is finding an antibiotic (TXA709) that destroys the protein, FtsZ. Rutgers University is trying to kill this protein because it helps the bacteria in MRSA to stay alive. A MRSA infection makes more bacteria inside a host cell, and eventually invades other cells in the body. In another article, “New antibiotic to fight MRSA developed,” by Oklahoma University shows how they have developed another antibiotic to attack the bacteria that is found in MRSA. Finding a cure for MRSA would be a huge medical breakthrough in science.

Works Cited:

Rutgers University. “Experimental antibiotic treats deadly MRSA infection: Scientists develop lower-dose antibiotic that could decrease side effects.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 13 June 2016.
University of Oklahoma. “New antibiotic to fight MRSA developed.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 18 May 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The importance of Healthcare by Katie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.