In the article, “Global Citizen Jorge Bernal: Equal Education Opportunities For All” by Savannah Sellers mentions that there are approximately one billion adults in the world who cannot read or write. In other words, these adults cannot even read a recipe or write a letter to someone. I think that someone needs to step in and give these people the education they deserve. Jorge Bernal is starting to donate books and other resources to classrooms that are less fortunate. He is hoping to end poverty by the year 2030 with the help of some organizations and the government. However, one person is not enough. We need a lot more people to step in and help our world decrease the amount of people who are illiterate. 

Black and white children receive a different education as stated in the article,“Black Students Don’t Even Get an Equal Education in Diverse Schools” by Susan Berfield. A study done at Stanford found that “[i]n District 65, white students are 3.9 grades ahead of the national average and black students are 0.6 grades below [this average]…” (Berfield 1). Unfortunately, many of these African American students come from a rough area. Is it their fault that they live a less fortunate area? No. A child’s education should not depend on their race. I believe that everyone should be able to get an equal education regardless of their race, gender, ethnic background or religion. Do you think the government needs to step in and fix the education gap between the whites and African Americans? If so, how?

Berfield, Susan. “Black Students Don’t Even Get an Equal Education in Diverse Schools.” Bloomberg.com. Bloomberg, 15 Sept. 2016. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.

Sellers, Savannah. “Global Citizen Jorge Bernal: Equal Education Opportunities for All.” NBC News. NBC News, 21 Sept. 2016. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.

Image credit: http://www.thebluediamondgallery.com/scrabble/images/education.jpg

CC BY-SA 4.0 Equal Opportunity for Education by Lauren is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.