Despite popular belief, the majority of families and unaccompanied children migrating into the U.S. through the border with Mexico are not those from Mexico, but Central America. It is people from Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador who are seeking relief from poverty and violence by immigrating. However, when these families and children have reached the border they are greeted by Homeland Security who is ready to detain them. This detainment is what is known as apprehension, or otherwise the arrest of removable “aliens.”

In 2016 the amount of apprehensions from Central America doubled when compared to the apprehensions of 2015, according to data collected by the CBP (Customs, and Border Protection). In the first half alone of 2016, there have been 32,117 families who have experienced apprehension instead of the protection they sought from the U.S. government. Despite the fact that these families are fleeing from gang and cartel violence the number of apprehensions of these people continues.

As the National Guard’s deployment to the Texas-Mexico border has been extended by the governor of Texas, it is expected that these apprehensions will continue to grow. Unlike the other states that share a border with Mexico, Texas experiences a greater numbers of families attempting to cross the border. About ⅔ of family apprehensions in 2016 occurred at the Texas-Mexico border, where the National Guard currently assist the CBP. This amount of apprehensions has lead to a backlog of cases, leading these families to spend weeks on end in detainment, instead of under protection from violence in their native countries.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Apprehension of Families by Giselle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer 1 month ago

Dear Giselle,
    I am very satisfied with your post, because I could really relate to this considering the fact that my mother is an immigrant and struggles a lot with the fear of being detained and taken away from our family. One thing you said that stands out for me is “when these families and children have reached the border they are greeted by Homeland Security who is ready to detain them. This detainment is what is known as apprehension, or otherwise the arrest of removable “aliens.” I think it is sad that immigrant families have to face situations such as these including children who’s minds are still developing and don’t comprehend why they can’t come to a country and educate themselves to better their lives, because of situations like these it’s harder for these children to better their lives if they aren’t given the opportunity.
    Regards,
    Jennifer Lopez