One thing everyone can agree on during this presidential election is that the two candidates have very different opinions on almost every issue. Their opinions are rarely similar at all. 

A topic they have very different views on is global warming. Global warming is a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth’s atmosphere which is attributed to the greenhouse effect.

In an article by the National Resource Defense Council, it stated that many scientists agree that global warming is and will cause many environmental issues. They believe that the drought in California is just one example of global warming. Besides drought, global warming causes the oceans to heat up ruining the climate for ocean life and giving tropical storms more energy (MacMillan). We must be a generation that acts on problems; we can’t just sit back and watch our environment fall to pieces. 

Hillary Clinton says that “[she] will work towards installing a half-billion solar panels by 2020 to generate enough energy from power free sources within ten years of her inauguration to power every home in America.” While Donald Trump says that, “global warming is a hoax,” and that “the Chinese fabricated it.” To the New York Times, Trump later claimed that that statement was a joke, but his many twitter posts about how global warming do not really prove that he is lying (Goode). 

I am not telling you who to vote for because that is your decision. All I am saying is make sure you take into account the serious consequences of global warming, and that we need to act to stop it and protect the world we live in.   

Sources

Goode, Erica. “What Are Donald Trump’s View on Climate Change? Some Clues Emerge.” The New York Times. N.p., 20 May 2016. Web. 14 Oct. 2016.

MacMillan, Amanda. “Global Warming 101.” NRDC. N.p., 11 Mar. 2016. Web. 14 Oct. 2016.

Photo by woodleywonderworks

CC BY-SA 4.0 We Must Protect Our World by Lena is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Caleb 10 months ago

I agree with you that the candidates have very different views on pretty much everything, but I believe that global warming is a hoax, and there aren’t any real problems with climate change. Therefore, it is not a big issue and there are a lot more important things we should worry about.

2. Monica 10 months ago

Lena,
    I believe that global warming is real and we do have a huge issue on this. However, whether or not it is real I feel like air pollution is a huge issue as well. Our next President should have ideas on decreasing the amount of pollution that is being released into the air destroying our atmosphere.

3. Sid 10 months ago

Hey Lena,
    I agree that global warming is an ongoing problem in the world. I liked how you contrasted the views of the candidates in order to state your opinion. Do you think there is anything specific the future president could do to to stall the process of global warming?