Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is William Tongauiha.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is: How they should include rugby into the OUSD? The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is the in the OUSD their education will change.

The reason I feel this is an inequity is that we want to see changes for the Polynesians and have them on the right path. Right now, I believe a solution to this problem would be if you have a solution in mind, write it here — I’m still searching for a solution

Some might argue that we can’t focus on only the Polynesians, they might as what about the rest of the students that are not? making my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

William Tongauiha
Fremont High School

CC BY-SA 4.0 Support in curating my sources: Polynesians and Rugby at School by Fili is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. PJ 3 weeks ago

Hi William,
    I play rugby for a club team in Utah and i find it a great way to bond with team mates and overall its a really safe and fun sport. I agree rugby should be included as a high school sport its a great way to meet new people and build character. if football is allowed rugby should be as well. As you stated above you should focus on all race making it more welcome for more then just polynesians increasing the participation rate which is my other point. Ask yourself how can you get others to participate in rugby thats why football and basketball etc. are so popular, its all about the participation rate. I also think you should start with a solution of your own and then ask your peers to critique it in ways keeping your originality making your argument that much stronger. This link http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2014/11/10/rugby-continues-americas-fastest-growing-sport/18830397/ should help support your problem and I wish you the best of luck, cant wait to see more posts from you.

2. Anna 3 weeks ago

William,
    I think that this is a cool idea. I personally like rugby so I decided to check out what you have to say. I have found a few websites that I think can and will help you when you start your research and maybe, help you make a convincing argument for rugby. The first website, http://www.rochester.edu/team/benefits-of-sports-to-students/ is all about how sports can help students, “playing sports teaches life lessons like discipline, responsibility, self-confidence, accountability, and teamwork.” The second expresses reasons why students should play sports (https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/10-reasons-why-high-school-sports-benefit-students). I believe that Simon has given you a good resource in why rugby isn’t just football, so I focused my sources around how sports can benefit your community. Hopefully you’ll find at least one useful thing there. I am excited to see what your final paper is going to be and how you sell how rugby should be added to your sports list.

3. Simon 3 weeks ago

Hi William,
    I clicked on your post because I played rugby for a club team here in Salt Lake and enjoyed it very much. Rugby is a great sport and teaches how to be a member of a team and try to achieve something that is bigger then yourself. One problem with Rugby however is that people get injured similarly to football and you should address how football and rugby are different. The distinction with help you not have a person say “why have rugby its just football.” Pointing out the differences is going to be key in your essay.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/football-or-rugby-whose-players-are-tougher-83608687/

I look forward to reading your essay, Simon