Raising the minimum wage is a political issue that I believe more people should be talking about and considering. It’s been an issue for quite some time now, but still no changes have been made to it. Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. It’s frustrating to me to think of someone working an 8 hour shift, doing hard work and labor, and only earning $58. It is shocking! I believe that people really need to continue pushing for the minimum wage to be raised. However, it is important to know that some states have a higher minimum wage than the federal minimum. On the other hand some states are still opposed to this, in the article, “NJ Gov. Christie Vetoes $15 Minimum Wage” Jeanne Sahadi explains why. In another article, “Raising Minimum Wage Combats Poverty and Benefits Our Economy” Hilda L. Solis talks about the pros of the issue. This is an topic I care about because I’m at the point in my life where this issue will impact me. Pretty soon, I’m going to be looking for a job and I’m probably going to be making only $7.25 an hour. I’m not complaining that that amount isn’t enough for me, because money is still money. But if you think about a single mother or father only making $7.25 to feed even one child, let alone 3 or 4, it makes you want to push for change. Raising the minimum wage matters to me because I want to be able to have a job where I can earn enough to make a living and it will be beneficial to many people. Do you think that the federal minimum wage is at a reasonable amount or should it be raised?

Sahadi, Jeanne. “NJ Gov. Christie Vetoes $15 Minimum Wage.” CNNMoney. Cable News Network, 30 Aug. 2016. Web. 14 Oct. 2016.

Solis, Hilda L. “Raising Minimum Wage Combats Poverty and Benefits Our Economy.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 19 July 2015. Web. 14 Oct. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Raising The Federal Minimum Wage by Lilly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tevy 10 months ago

Lilly,
    I liked reading your post. I agree with you that young people need to start caring about the minimum wage more because that will be affecting us. Personally, it is already affecting me because I have a part time job. I also think that businesses are starting to notice this too by starting to raise their minimum wages to more like nine dollars and hour. Keep up the good work!!