The phrase “we are all immigrants” is commonly used by pro-immigration supporters with its purpose to shine a light on a human crisis, but the truth of the matter is that we are not all immigrants.

We cannot claim that “everyone is an immigrant” when that simply is not true. I am not an immigrant I have no idea what it is like to be an immigrant and I have a certain privilege that comes with my non-immigrant status.

It is dependent on us non-immigrants to recognize this privilege and use it to help those that are suffering from this immigration crisis on our country.

It is not enough to claim that we are all immigrants or change your profile picture to a flag filter or share a video. We need to take action because immigrants cannot. We have the privilege and we must do something good with it or it will ruin us.

Photo by Wagner T. Cassimiro “Aranha”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Not Everyone is an Immigrant, but Everyone is Human by Addie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Karen 1 year ago

Thanks for writing this. Your title intrigued me.

Isn’t it true that all of our families come from immigrants, unless perhaps we are Native Americans or other indigenous people?

I think that people say “we are all immigrants” because the vast majority of our families came from somewhere else, and yet it seems so easy to forget that. It is easy to think that the doors to our country should be closed even though they were open for our families. We lack empathy, I think.

I agree strongly that “We need to take action because immigrants cannot. We have the privilege and we must do something good with it or it will ruin us.”

I look forward to seeing you write more and to hearing what actions you suggest to be more inclusive to immigrants and all those that are seen as “outsiders” or “other.” Thanks for writing!