Dear Youth Voices Community,

I am Lilian Mancia, a senior at Fremont High School in the Media Academy.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is deportations and people leaving without their children. The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is Latinos that are men or women and their children. The reason I feel this is an inequity is that all people come to the U.S to have a better quality of living and almost all of them have not committed crimes. They also leave their children behind.

Right now, I believe a solution to this problem would be deporting people that have done illegal things and have committed crimes but never leave a child without one of their parents.

Some might argue that many people should be deported because the number of illegal people is huge, making my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

Lilian Mancia
Fremont High School

CC BY-SA 4.0 Looking for Sources for a Project on Deported People Leaving Their Children Behind by Lilian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jose 10 months ago

Hi Lilian, I am really interested in the topic you are asking further information about. I have been reading many articles online. I have came across many topics about immigration and how it impacts many immigrants around the United States. I agree with you that deportation should stop since it separate families that came to the United States for a better life. One of the articles I found was a article by Migration Policy Institute.

Link:http://www.migrationpolicy.org/news/deportation-parent-can-have-significant-and-long-lasting-harmful-effects-child-well-being-pair

Hopefully this articles surpasses your exceptions and helps get your point across.

Sincerely, Jose

2. Jackson 10 months ago

Hi there Lilian, I work with immigrants, refugees, and displaced families at my job. I teach the children of these families and peoples a basic education course, including STEM and the liberal arts in classes between 15 and 30. Personally, in the year or so I’ve been working there I have never had a case where a family or parent is deported and a child is left behind. I would say merely from the experience of my work and my coworkers, the statistic that parents who are deported leave their children behind is a highly exaggerated one. Good luck and if there is anything more I can help with let me know.

3. Karen 10 months ago

Thanks for writing this, Lilian.

Immigration and deportation are important topics to me, especially as it relates to children.

When you talk about people leaving without their children, do you mean that they have left their children in their home countries, or are you talking about people who are deported from here without their children?

I do some work with people in immigrant detention (pending deportation). Many of them are separated from their children — either they are back in their home countries or they are here in the US (often legally). It is very sad.

One thing I noticed about your post is the term “illegal people.” This is a common way people refer to people who are in our country without documentation, but I believe that no person can be “illegal.” I would prefer to refer to them as “undocumented people” or as migrants or immigrants.

I’ll look forward to seeing more of your writing and will try to send some research references depending on what you’re looking for.