As I am approaching the next chapter of my life, which in my case is college, I have become more aware of the extreme financial expense to attend a university. I am lucky enough to be in a situation where I can afford to continue my schooling through loans and savings, but I know of other people who will miss out on this opportunity simply because they can not afford it. This seems unfair to me. Every person should have the chance to go to college if they please. Due to the high costs, college is becoming harder and harder to afford for most people. I believe that in order for this issue to be solved, new legislature must be passed setting a price limitation on some universities. The legislature would also increase taxes in order to cover some of the cost of college for people who are not able to pay on their own. This issue has recently been discussed in the upcoming election by both the democratic and republican nominees, but was more heavily focused on by Bernie Sanders. Bernie Sanders gives us insight into his idea for reform and how to pay for it in his article “How Bernie pays for his proposals” on his website. In an article called “The Affordability of College,” by Assemblyman Will Barclay, Barclay writes about the growing debt of college students as a result to the increase in college costs. These two articles help to showcase the fact that college prices are only going to continue to grow if something is not done soon to stop it.

Image Citation

CC BY-SA 4.0 Cost of College Exceeding Realistic Prices by Rachel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Markie 9 months ago

Rachel,
    The cost of school is ridiculous. I have schools on my mind that I love and that seem completely ideal for me but the thing I most focus on is the cost. Especially for out of state tuition; I also understand that scholarships and money grants aren’t abundant. Although the sad thing is that the money can be the thing holding you back from what your looking for in a great school. Overall I agree that the cost is ubsurd and their has to be another option. Well written piece.

2. Abi 10 months ago

I agree with your stance on the cost of a education. I know from my personal experience with this issue the cost of a school can make or brake the school itself in our minds. We often aren’t looking at how good the school really is but how in the world are we going to pay for the cost of classes let alone for room and board.

3. Yuliana 10 months ago

Dear Rachel,
    I agree that going to college can be difficult to afford. Many people don’t continue their studies because the amount for college is extremely high. Some students drop out and never return to college.
    One thing you said that really stand out to me is, “Due to high costs, college is becoming harder and harder to afford for most people.” I think this is sad because most people would like to continue their studies but can’t because the price to attend is very high.
    Your post reminds me of something that my family is currently going through. Currently my family had to send my sister to a public college because my parents didn’t have the amount of money to send her to a university. Currently my parents are saving up to send her to the university she has been wanting to go since her senior year.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you post was really interesting to read.

4. Anna 10 months ago

Rachel,
    I agree that college tuition is growing higher and higher, which is a main concern for many people. I like the point you brought up about how some colleges overspend for the pride of their college. Those schools are usually the ones students hear about the most and apply to the most which raises their superiority. Their legacy and how successful and passionate the college students are should be the colleges pride. Not how much money they spend on campaigning.

5. Jee 10 months ago

Hello Rachel,
    It is true that the college is getting harder to pay. I am a senior in a high school too and I lately realized I do face some financial issues while applying to colleges.

I agree that people who wants to go to a college should get the chance to. Not a lot of people wants to study more and if one has enough passion in getting educated more, they should achieve it.

I do agree that the government should care more about the school tuitions. It is crucial for students to pay less, and the government’s help with tax will worth the cost. Also, I want to add that the governments should have the college spend those money in necessary things. I do not know much about college but I do know that colleges sometimes overspend for the pride of their college. Constructing new buildings even if the old ones are usable. Matters like that happens.

Students with passion who graduates from the school will enhance the pride of the school. So therefore I think that the colleges should be more caring about how they use money, and try to get more passionate students. This way I think the government can spend less tax and students will still be able to attend college.