Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is Aleah Jefferson. I am a senior in Media Academy class of 2017.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is not enough Community College students graduate and land their dream jobs.  The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is low-income areas of color because the majority of suburban students are less likely to be of color and attend a community college. The reason I feel this is an inequity is because students of color are more likely to spend their money and receive an education that will not in the long run benefit them.

Right now, I believe a solution to this problem would be to higher more professional and acquitted college advisors and counselors.

Some might argue that some community college students do land the job of their dreams, making my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

Aleah Jefferson
Fremont High School

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Can A Community College Do For You? by Aleah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Rachel 9 months ago

Aleah, I found your piece quite interesting. I believe another possible solution would be lowering college tuition. I wrote a more in depth essay a few weeks back dealing with this same issue if you wanted to look at that. Good luck with your research journey 🙂

2. Karen 10 months ago

Dear Aleah,

I think this is a very important topic, and I am glad you are looking into it.

I believe that it is true that low income and students of color are less likely to finish school. Often this is because they have to work full time jobs while they are in school in order to afford it. Also some students can’t afford the expensive textbooks that are required, and of course, it is difficult to succeed without textbooks. (There are some people who are making free textbooks available to help with this. See https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/04/era-400-college-textbook-affordability-initiatives-take-utilitarian-approach and https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-07-06-with-5-million-for-z-degrees-small-change-is-a-big-step-for-california-community-colleges. I think that lower tuition costs would also help. See http://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2015/11/06/college-affordability-is-still-an-issue-today)

I agree that good counselors would help. We all need a lot of support to succeed.

I will look forward to reading more about what you learn.