Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is Jorge Padron and I am a senior at Fremont High School and I anticipate graduating this year.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is sexism in media. The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is women because women are overly sexualized by movies and T.V. and that there is a certain image that women “have” to be. The reason this is an inequity issue is because men are not as over sexualized in media like ads or movies.

Currently, I am still researching a solution but what I have in mind is that if media promotes women to be strong and be more proud of who they are and how they are, this would influence more women to be proud.

Some might argue that women might actually like dressing and acting provocatively. This makes my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

Jorge Padron-Vargas
Fremont High School

Photo by sylvar

CC BY-SA 4.0 Research Help Needed: Sexism In Media by Jorge is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ingrid 10 months ago

I found an article that i think would benefit your reasearch and hopefully it will be a start. http://msmagazine.com/blog/2016/01/04/toxic-culture-101-understanding-the-sexualization-of-women/

2. Katie 10 months ago

While researching I found an interesting article about sexism in the 2016 Rio Olympics.

http://fusion.net/story/338501/sexism-olympics-rio-simone-biles/

These Olympians are amazing, strong, women, yet the media still makes comments about the outfits they wear while competing instead of their outstanding achievements. They are labeled as so and so’s husband, instead of their own name, etc. Not to mention, the males in the Olympics in some ways overshadowed the women. The ways they were reported in magazines and newspapers made men Olympians out to be more important than women Olympians.

3. Thyme 10 months ago

I would suggest using examples for this research. If your looking for a way to prove that women are over sexualized on t.v and on media, then look up pictures. Or even look up debates on the subject. Use both sides of the story and find evidence to support both and see which on you agree with most.

4. Mauresa 10 months ago

I would suggest the article http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/social_issues-july-dec13-sexualization_12-21/
    This article is useful because it goes over what credible sources have said about the rising sexualization of women throughout media, more specifically in magazines.