Dear Youth Voices Community,

My name is Jerome Pope Jr. I am a 12th grader at Fremont High School.

The social inequity problem I am looking into is injuries in the NFL. The demographic group I am most focused on for this inequity is on men Black, White, and Hispanic, ages 21-30, because some races get different things when they get hurt. The reason I feel this is an inequity I feel different races get better help when they get injured

Right now, I believe a solution to this problem. I’ve yet to find it.

Some might argue that some players get better help when they’re hurt, making my research focus debatable.

Fremont High School seniors are now curating sources to explain our inequity and its impact on society and to develop arguments for why and how this inequity needs to be addressed. If you have ideas for sources I should explore, please send me those ideas or links in the comment section. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and help.

Jerome Pope
Fremont High School

Photo by Neon Tommy

CC BY-SA 4.0 Need help on my research about football injures by Jerome is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chloe 3 weeks ago

Hi Jerome!
    I found your topic interesting because it is a topic I have researched in the past. I think your idea that there may be a solution is feasible, but I also believe there is a possibility that the NFL won’t exist in the next 20 or 30 years. The injuries such as concussions and overall toll on the body have made football seem barbaric and less attractive to future players. Unless the technology can improve on helmets and padding as well as regulation changes, football could become a thing of the past. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/what-weve-learned-from-two-years-of-tracking-nfl-concussions/ talks about how not all injuries are reported, so the number of injuries that we think is large, may only be half of all the injuries. I am curious to hear what you have to say about the future of football and hope to hear more in future posts.

2. Fredrick 3 weeks ago

Dear Jerome,
    I really found your topic very interesting because I am a football player. when I was injured, though I never noticed it but there was a rush from everyone wondering how fast my recovery would take and how many games I was going to miss. I am black but I don’t fully believe that the color of your skin has to do with anything about the way you are treated. I found this article and I hope it helps you because I found it quite interesting as well. Your bring up a topic I have never heard off but I hope you come to a conclusion in your research. I’m excited to see what you come up with.

https://deadspin.com/5960842/why-we-expect-black-football-players-to-return-from-injury-faster-than-white-players

3. Beth 3 weeks ago

Jerome, I was very intrigued by this topic because I have never heard this argument before. Personally, I’ve always felt that injured players will always be treated with the best care possible despite of their race, religion, or gender. However, I cannot speak for athletes all around the country. Do you think injury discrimination happens in all sports or just football? You could expand on your topic and address other sports to make your argument stronger, too. Could there be injury discrimination against blacks in the NFL because the majority of the players are African American? I think you can address many thought-provoking questions on this topic about racism in high-level athletics. Check out this article about the NFL’s racial divide https://theundefeated.com/features/the-nfls-racial-divide/
    I’m interested to hear more on this subject!

4. Whitlee 3 weeks ago

Well, there is a research study that states blacks are expected back out on the field master than whites. It showed how biased people are on the topic. “‘Participants assumed that the Black target was less privileged and faced more hardship than the White target,’ the study’s authors write, and that harder life presumably shields them from things like physical pain.” I don’t know about treatment itself, but there is a bias in how different people react and what is expected. https://deadspin.com/5960842/why-we-expect-black-football-players-to-return-from-injury-faster-than-white-players

5. Colin 3 weeks ago

Jerome, I thought your topic was very interesting. I play football too and I never thought of that when I was injured this season. Why do you think this inequality exists? I found an article about racial inequality in college football that may help.
    https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/19/ncaa-problems-race
    Very unique topic. Please post about what you find out.

6. Casey 3 weeks ago

Dear Jerome,
    I also play football but I am not seeing an inequality between different injuries and race. My whole life people that have an injury are treated with the best care no matter what race they are. Similarly there is lots of research done in the NFL about injuries but I have never heard about discrimination of race because of an injury. I have a link that you can use to further your research on injuries in the NFL but as far as racial discrimination because of injury, that will be harder to research. https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/newsroom/reports/2016-injury-data/

7. Ellie 3 weeks ago

Hello Jerome,
    I love your topic! I am not a crazy football fan myself, however I can see the concert that people have with the sport. It is very dangerous. I mean, after all, it is a sport where the objective is to physically tackle one another. There are many injuries proven to be related to football; especially head and brain trauma injuries.

I would love to see some more research on this topic. Maybe some quotes directly from an NFL player or an athletic trainer of the NFL.

Great job so far! I am interested to see where you go with this!

8. Tyshon 9 months ago

I play football to and when I get injured I get a different treatment than my team mate

9. Sergio 11 months ago

Dear Jerome,
    I am surprised by your post “Need help on my research about football injuries” because you state the NFL does have a lot of injuries between ages 21-30. You also say some races get different things when they get hurt. Different races get better help when they get injured. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Some might argue that some players get better help when they’re hurt” I think this is unfair because every player should be in the same treatment.\Your post about NFL injuries reminds me of something that happened to me when i was playing football at my middle school and I got hit in the head and i got a concussion. When this happened I received the same treatment as everyone else. If I had been treated different from other players I would had felt like they don’t care about my health.
    Sincerely, Sergio

10. Cris 12 months ago

New York Times is a credible source because they are a generally reliable giver of news, also because they have a good mix of editorial columnists that have different opinions. Here’s what I found: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/us/how-race-plays-a-role-in-patients-pain-treatment.html