Gun Control is a topic I hear over and over again. Our candidates in the 2016 presidential election have also talked about this topic. Americans will always argue different points about this sensitive topic which makes me think that it will never be solved. According to the article, “How Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton stack up on guns,” Hilary is pro gun control and Trump is not. I agree with Hilary that there should be more control with handing out guns.

My opposition argues that more gun control will lead us to ignore the 2nd amendment. This is the main reason that many people hate having a control on what we can and cannot do. I think this is a problem, but if we do not control how many guns are handed out each year, then there will be more and more deaths in the US. Stephen Gutowski says there were “More than 23 million checks were processed through the National Instant Background Check System in 2015, an all-time record.” This means there were over 23 million guns registered in 2015 alone. This fact really opened my eyes. If there were 23 million guns sold only in 2015, how many guns are in America?

The topic of gun control is very delicate because so many people have different opinions. I get that it messes with the 2nd amendment if we have gun control, but this also connects to some other topics like the amount of deaths in America. This is because there are so many guns and we don’t know what people are going to do with their guns. Normally people say, “it’s only for protection,” but the word protection can go multiple ways for different people. This is why I think we should have more gun control.

CC BY-SA 4.0 It’s Only For Protection! by Kavi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Griffen 10 months ago

I think the whole point of restricting guns is that the average person could, and should, be able to still get them. The difference is that guns are too easily accessible. Why can someone who is mentally unstable be able to buy a gun?

2. Thaarini 10 months ago

I also agree that guns should be restricted, but it would be a little hard to restrict what is already out there. I mean you said it yourself: there were 23 million guns sold in 2015, how many more are there in the country? How do you propose we fix the problem posed by those who already have guns? I mean we can put in new restrictions, but it can’t control all the guns that have been sold before, can it? Do you think it could be alright to ask gun owners to bring in their purchased gun to regulate them? Would it be within the rights of states and federal government to take away guns? But even with all of this, I wholeheartedly agree with you that we should but regulations on guns. After all, this isn’t the 18th century, is it now?

3. Ramazan 10 months ago

If guns are restricted to the point where the average person can’t get them what’s gonna stop criminals from obtaining them? I mean drugs are illegal, but people still find ways to manufacture, sell, and buy them.