My in-laws and I don’t agree politically. We used to try to talk about politics, but these days we talk about everything except politics. Especially in an election year. The discussion just gets too personal. People have trouble expressing themselves or listening to others without going over the line (this is a reference to “saying too much,” to hurting others’ feelings, to pointing the finger of blame, etc.).

Letters to the Next President is an initiative that lets people (students mostly) share their position on an issue without discussing a particular candidate. It allows expression of ideas through video, text, audio, or image. That’s healthy. It’s useful even. And it is possible without hurting others’ feelings by discussing how their candidate is “wrong.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why Letters to the Next President rocks by Aram is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jessyca 10 months ago

Totally agree. I like the freedom to speak and to listen without complete conflict. I am doing Letters to the Next President 2.0 next week. I am really excited to see what the kids come up with.