This year, our freshmen were generally the most decorated during our Spirit Week dress-up days–despite the fact that they had the most difficult color (orange) and the fewest school shirts (because they’re new to the school).  Why is this?  As students get older, does their school spirit decline?  Do they start to feel “too cool” to participate?  Research suggests that students who are more involved at school perform better academically and have a better high school experience.  Does declining Spirit Week participation suggest that we’re losing students along the way?  And if so, what can we do to promote participation in the school community?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Who Participates in Spirit Week? by Carrie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alexa 1 year ago

Great Post! I believe that just because someone doesn’t have school spirit doesn’t mean that they are worse academically, some people just aren’t into the whole dressing up thing. When I was a freshman I was really into dressing up for spirit week, like most freshman. When you are new to the school you think everything is so cool and want to participate in as many activities as possible. Sophomores and Juniors tend to not dress up as much because I believe they do think they are “too cool.” Seniors at my school go all out for spirit week and any time they can dress up. This is because it’s their last year of high school so they think: “why not?” To promote participation I would put signs up and have as many activities as possible at school.

2. Dianna 1 year ago

I think you are right about this. I think we are losing students along the way, and I’m not sure why, but the lack of spirit week participation may be an indicator.