The movie industry is ripe with examples of creators battling for control over their creations.  Most recently within the last decade, we have seen directors battle back against movie studios and release their creations as director’s cuts in order to show the version they originally intended but were restricted by studio editing. For the most part, there hasn’t been much of an uproar over this from the consumers of pop culture because typically director’s cuts give even more content to these films.

But what happens when they decide to change the content…or worse, the beloved characters?  Steven Spielberg did it to the 20th anniversary release of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial when he deleted lines and digitally transformed guns into walkie talkies.  George Lucas did it when he made sure, among countless other changes, that Han Solo no longer was the merciless killer of Greedo the bounty hunter by showing Greedo shooting first.

When changes like this happen, lovers of the films tend to react.  At what point should the consumers of pop culture have a right to maintain it the way they wish? If they have celebrated the work for years, should the creators still have the right to change what has
been celebrated?

Do I have the right to change this post years after you consider the question?

CC BY-SA 4.0 When Do You Give Away Your Creativity? by Daniel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.