I am from Oakland
The place I have lived all my life
A city unlike any other
Where everyone is unique

I am from Debate
Where people fight for what they believe in
And there’s always someone there to listen
It has taught me so much
And I am excited to continue to learn

I am from my name
When someone says it I know they are talking to me
The nicknames are annoying
Like question and adventure
But I would never change it

I am from great friends
Who make my life interesting
And through good and bad,
Will always be there for me

This is where I am from

Photo by Fora do Eixo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Unlike Any Other by Quest is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Genevieve 10 months ago

Hi Quest,
    I really enjoyed reading this. It gives great insight into who you are, your life, and what you stand for in few words because of the way you constructed this poem. Really well done.

2. Stephanie 10 months ago

I like how you show your poem your feelings through Oakland and believing yourself.

3. Semon 11 months ago

Quest, This is a great poem! It depicts Oakland to be better than it seems! Great job!

4. Moiranda 11 months ago

Dear Quest,
    I really like your poem! I like how you began each stanza and thought that you were very creative with your writing. I enjoyed reading of your home and your friends.

5. Jenessa 11 months ago

Dear Quest,
    I think that where you’re from is a good place to grow up. I like the description you gave of your life in Oakland. You said, “I am from Oakland. The place I have lived all my life. A city unlike any other. Where everyone is unique. I would have loved to grow up somewhere like that.

6. Yuliana 11 months ago

I am interested in your poem because I like the way it gives a description of your life. One thing that you said that stands out for me is, “I am from great friends Who make my life interesting And through good and bad, Will always be there for me.” I think this is sweet that you included your friends in your poem. Your poem reminds me of the poem that I did at the beginning of the year. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I enjoyed your poem.