I’m from the town, where being yourself isn’t good enough.

I’m from the lands where it all goes down, and the people always have some kind of problem.

Cause here respect is key and if you don’t have any they’ll find a way to make you bleed.

So if you don’t have a car don’t expect to go far cause if you get caught on the wrong block you might just get shot.

I’m from a place where shit go down in the dark and when you wake up bodies being found in the park.

Here snitches get stitches then end up in ditches and you won’t get your riches if you rollin’ with some bitches.

I’m from a place where after you get into a fight and make a nigga leak, his boy will run up put a gun to your head like don’t even blink.

Here hate thrives like an infection and pretty much everyone has protection, so the only way to keep shit on lock is with a .44 or Glock

Where I’m from there is no shame in any game and everyone is playing so if you ain’t a scholar you probably trying to become a baller and most people’s future is based on pure luck because no one really gives a fuck.

This is Oakland, this is where I’m from,  That’s the cold hard truth.

Photo by Nick.Fisher

CC BY-SA 4.0 I’m from Oakland! by Bladimiro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Luke 10 months ago

I really enjoyed reading your piece. Even though it isn’t that long it is deep and really let’s the reader into your life and shows a lot about you and what it is like for you and your family living in Oakland CA.

2. Alexcia 10 months ago

I like your poem because it shows were we are from good or bad

3. Cristhoffer 10 months ago

I like your poem because it shows how is your town and what is happening