I’m from the town, where being yourself isn’t good enough.

I’m from the lands where it all goes down, and the people always have some kind of problem.

Cause here respect is key and if you don’t have any they’ll find a way to make you bleed.

So if you don’t have a car don’t expect to go far cause if you get caught on the wrong block you might just get shot.

I’m from a place where shit go down in the dark and when you wake up bodies being found in the park.

Here snitches get stitches then end up in ditches and you won’t get your riches if you rollin’ with some bitches.

I’m from a place where after you get into a fight and make a nigga leak, his boy will run up put a gun to your head like don’t even blink.

Here hate thrives like an infection and pretty much everyone has protection, so the only way to keep shit on lock is with a .44 or Glock

Where I’m from there is no shame in any game and everyone is playing so if you ain’t a scholar you probably trying to become a baller and most people’s future is based on pure luck because no one really gives a fuck.

This is Oakland, this is where I’m from,  That’s the cold hard truth.

Photo by Nick.Fisher

CC BY-SA 4.0 I’m from Oakland! by Bladimiro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Eduardo 4 months ago

Dear Bladimiro
    I can completely relate to your poem “ I’m from Oakland!” because I see it every day I have experienced it and it’s still happening. I would say that even though we might live in a crappy area, we can use that as motivation to get out of Oakland and become someone in the future so we won’t have to face problems that we are facing in present times.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: “Here hate thrives like an infection and pretty much everyone has protection, so the only way to keep shit on lock is with a .44 or Glock” I think this is powerful sentence because it’s true that hate in Oakland is everywhere, people will diss you no matter how real they are. Also, this sentence has a deep meaning because it’s telling that pain might be so big that the only way for us to avoid it is to be armed or use violence but even then we will still have hate meaning as long as we are in Oakland we won’t be able to escape hatred.
    Another sentence that I can relate was: “I’m from the town, where being yourself isn’t good enough.” This stood out to me because to make it out you have to push yourself so hard that you become a different person and because you become a different person people begin to hate on you, but that shouldn’t stop anybody from becoming successful in life.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I can relate to you and your story.

2. Luke 2 years ago

I really enjoyed reading your piece. Even though it isn’t that long it is deep and really let’s the reader into your life and shows a lot about you and what it is like for you and your family living in Oakland CA.

3. Alexcia 2 years ago

I like your poem because it shows were we are from good or bad

4. Cristhoffer 2 years ago

I like your poem because it shows how is your town and what is happening