Dear Hillary Clinton, the nominee for President of the United States in the 2016 election:

My name is San Ly, a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland.  I have been in the US for three years. I’m hoping for you to be the next president leading the United States when I get to the point becoming US citizen. 

You’re the best confirmation to prove that not only males could be a part of the US’s government. You have been spent your whole life working in politics. No one can deny the succeed that you have achieved by receiving the most votes in 2016 Democratic primaries.

You favor allowing pathways to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, planning to raise income, expanding and protecting LGBT and women’s rights, which are helpful and willing to help people who are struggling with their problems.

Wish the best things for you.

Photo by ep_jhu

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hillary and My Hope by San is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sonia 3 months ago

Dear San,
    It is evidently past the time of the election, and I am sure that Trump’s victory was not what you had expected. LGBTQ+ rights movements resonate with me, because I still wonder why people’s gender identities and sexual orientations are such a big deal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being straight, cisgender, or being LGBTQ+. Division will only make us weaker. I do not hate Donald Trump, because I still believe with a small portion of my heart that he can set things right. I definitely disagree with much that he’s done. I try wholeheartedly to understand things from his point of view, and I guess I do understand somewhat; but, I am an immigrant, like you, and am well aware that this country was built on immigration. Perhaps stricter laws can be enforced, perhaps another solution can be found, but inhibiting the entrance of immigrants is not the answer. These illegal immigrants have, many times, come illegally because remaining in their homelands until it was possible to immigrate legally was perilous. I urge Donald Trump to put himself in those immigrants’ shoes, and realize how it feels for these immigrants, after making this hazardous journey for the sakes of their families, to be sent back to danger. America is a beacon of hope for many (or at least, it was), and it is cruel to take this hope away.
    I have put myself in Trump’s shoes, and have realized that it would be difficult to cope with wave after wave of immigration. But denying immigrants access to the American Dream is not the answer! Trump still has over 3 and a half years to show the world that he can make things up for the people he has terribly offended. I have not yet lost hope.
    Thank you for writing this post! It intrigued me deeply, and I wonder what else you will write about in the near future.