Dear Future President,  

In my life, I have found that there is a lot of evil in this world. It’s easy to get wrapped up in it if you forget to look for the good too. On September 11, 2001, one of the worst tragedies in America took place. This attack was devastating beyond words, but when catastrophes happen, we must still move on. The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act came out of this horrible event and brought hope to America. We are a nation that is united, and we should do everything we can to help the people who protect that.

Now I realize that this was mostly in Congress’ power, but having your voice in these bills, can make a difference. I have no doubt that tragedy will strike again in America. What you do afterwards matters. Yes, you can a make uniting speech to America to show you care, but your words mean nothing without action. This bill, while good, took too long to pass and be fully effective.  According to Forbes, the bill took fourteen years to pass for permanent health care and compensation for the 9/11 responders (Sola). http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiesola/2015/12/21/911-first-responders/#761f2a423583

Over 72,000 responders and their families will receive what they are due because of this bill. They should have had this relief much sooner. In conclusion, America is going through many struggles. I challenge you to challenge congress. Solutions need to come faster if we want to progress in America. As president, you are given the power to make a change; use it. Focus on the  good you can do for this world, and make it happen.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why did the Zadroga Act take 14 years? by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Joseph 7 months ago

I agree with you that the act should’ve been passed quite some years ago. People died and sacrificed themselves and that the firefighters, policemen, and other responders to 9/11 should’ve been appreciated a long time ago.

2. Luke 1 year ago

I completely agree with you this act should have been passed years ago. It seems pretty logical to help the heroes who have sacrificed so much. In general I feel as though first responders are underappreciated for the dangerous and important jobs they do for society. I was also wondering why this act take so long to pass. Did the article say anything about the roadblocks the bill faced in congress?