Think of the most beautiful thing imaginable. What word would you use to describe that image? When we think beauty, we often think of peace and stillness, or, tranquil things. Tranquil is a word we don’t use very much and I think I know why. Our world, especially in the United States, is always moving and busy. “We have to be at work at this time” or “I have practice until this time.” We don’t really experience tranquility often due to how busy all of our lives are. That is why when we think of beautiful things, we see them at calm and undisturbed. This is why tranquil is such a precious word to us.

Secondly, tranquil is just calming by itself. Maybe it’s due to the fact that it is a long word to say and takes time to say it or that the “qu” blend is more calming. Regardless, how can say the word tranquil and not get a sense of calmness and relaxation. Tranquil is not just a word, it is a state of mind. How can you use this word without feeling the speed of the world slowdown around you. Almost like there is a nice, warm, and fuzzy cloud closing in around you to snuggle. It is a word that allows you to take a small break from this fast-paced moving world and just relax.

Photo by jaskew85

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stillness in an Unstill World by Blake is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.