Think of the most beautiful thing imaginable. What word would you use to describe that image? When we think beauty, we often think of peace and stillness, or, tranquil things. Tranquil is a word we don’t use very much and I think I know why. Our world, especially in the United States, is always moving and busy. “We have to be at work at this time” or “I have practice until this time.” We don’t really experience tranquility often due to how busy all of our lives are. That is why when we think of beautiful things, we see them at calm and undisturbed. This is why tranquil is such a precious word to us.

Secondly, tranquil is just calming by itself. Maybe it’s due to the fact that it is a long word to say and takes time to say it or that the “qu” blend is more calming. Regardless, how can say the word tranquil and not get a sense of calmness and relaxation. Tranquil is not just a word, it is a state of mind. How can you use this word without feeling the speed of the world slowdown around you. Almost like there is a nice, warm, and fuzzy cloud closing in around you to snuggle. It is a word that allows you to take a small break from this fast-paced moving world and just relax.

Photo by jaskew85

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stillness in an Unstill World by Blake is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abi 1 month ago

You are right, our society is extremely busy. The reason it is this way is because everyone follows these rules; we have to go to college, we have to get a good job, we have to do all these things or else we won’t ‘fit’ in. In reality no one really has to do anything, you can find ways to be in the state of tranquil without following these rules. There are plenty of ways. You just have to do what makes you truly happy and then you will find peace within yourself. Great job on this blog! Really enjoyed reading it. (: