I am from a city where people hide their feelings
where people don’t believe in self-pity
where people doubt you’ll make it to university
where people try to find positivity even with negativity

I am from a family who struggles yet still finds time to smile
A pile of unpaid bills, they tell me not to worry,
it’s no biggie
they don’t like to share their troubles but I hope
one day they’ll all just crumble

I see my friends as a ray of light
making my life cheerful and bright
life isn’t always easy, hard times yes I’ve had my share
but they were always standing there

Where I’m from, I feel like I have nowhere to go
I tell myself, for the future I am prepared
but the thought of commitment gets me scared
I know I’m getting older, no longer a child
but not yet an adult
just a girl trying to find the right path

I am from a place where innocent people get killed
where it’s normal to hear gunshots
but I am also from nothing but pure love
I am from a place with people and things
I can say are lovely
I am from Oakland

CC BY-SA 4.0 Trying to find the right path by Alexandra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Rania 9 months ago

Dear Alexandra,

I am in love with your poem because I can relate to many aspects of the writing and its relatable for the audience, for many different types of people.Like people who struggle to find themselves or have family problems and struggles at home or mental health issues with sadness and a sense of being lost in society and the world.

One thing you said that stood out to me was: “I am from a family who struggles yet still finds time to smile A pile of unpaid bills, they tell me not to worry”. I think this is sad, especially coming from me because I’ve experienced this when I was around 7-9 years old, I didn’t want to grow up because I was scared this would be what life was gonna be like forever. Also the line, “I tell myself, for the future I am prepared but the thought of commitment gets me scared” was relatable because many teens and young adults today have trouble growing up and being on their own and finding themselves.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “All of these stories make me who I am. But to insist on only these negative stories is to flatten my experience and to overlook the many other stories that formed me”. I thought that this quote meant that experiences in life change you and help form you as the person you’ll grow to be, I thought this connected to your poem because we’re scared of commitment of the future and growing up because we’re not ready. But not being ready is part of growing up,if we were ready to grow up, we wouldn’t be growing.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I believe your poem speaks for a lot of people like me and you, through your writing you can make a difference to make the world a better place.

2. Charnell 9 months ago

Dear Alexandra,
    I am amused with your poem because it was real. You knew exactly how to express your feelings. I love your choice of words they really are touching and understandable.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “I tell myself, for the future I am prepared
    but the thought of commitment gets me scared” I think this is factual and brave because I believe everyone is scared of something. And for most “students” I would say commitment is it. Commiting to something is a lot to put on yourself so I understand why you would be scared and it’s brave that you can admit it.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adichie’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “All I had heard about them is how poor they were, so that it had become impossible for me to see them as anything else but poor. Their poverty was my single story of them.”. I thought that this quote meant that once a story is set or designed for a certain person/ group of people it sticks. And this connected to your poem because you said “..where people doubt you’ll make it to university.” That quote relates to yours because I believe that may happen because not enough people from where your from is encouraged to do better. But I hope you can ‘find your right path’.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your poem and your thoughts were very real. No sugar-coating.

3. Parmenus 9 months ago

Dear Alexandra,
    I find your poem very interesting. In hard times like those you described, I would find it very hard to stay positive. However, you still take pride in your home city of Oakland, despite the pain you and those around you go through.

In my class,we saw Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story”. It showed how one story about a certain place can lead one to expect only that thing out of people from there. However, you see good in Oakland, even though it’s always seen in a bleak, hopeless light.

Thank you for your poem. I look forward to hearing more of your stories of your life and what else Oakland has to offer beyond the evil.

Signed,
    PJBowler.

4. Karen 2 years ago

Thanks for writing this, Alexandra. You are a good writer. I love your words “from nothing but pure love,” and I’m glad you can see loveliness in the world around you, even though there are also so many things that are negative and challenging. Keep writing!

5. Natalia 2 years ago

gang gang gang deep deep east oakland

6. Lorena 2 years ago

good job