Modern medicine can treat so many people with so many different ailments.  But when a person has an illness that cannot be treated, what happens?  A lot of times, nothing, and these patients are in excruciating pain.  In parts of Europe, this is where physician-assisted suicide comes in.  When a patient’s pain becomes too extreme, they can choose to have a doctor permanently relieve them of their pain.  Should physician-assisted suicide become a major practice in the US to help those who cannot bear the physical or mental pain anymore?

Those in favor of physician-assisted suicide believe that mentally strong patients with no hope of a cure should be able to decide when they die, so they do not have to die in pain.  Opponents say that the process degrades human life.  Hillary Clinton believes that states should make the decision on whether or not physician-assisted suicide should be legal like Oregon did in 1997.  She thinks it is great that the state broke new ground and believes that these are the types of decisions that state governments are supposed to make.  She also believes that with the right safeguards and informed decision-making, this is a right that Americans should have.

Libertarian Gary Johnson also believes that the decision is a right that Americans should have.  However, when Mike Huckabee was governor, he signed a bill which outlawed physician-assisted suicide, because he does not believe with the process.  Donald Trump has not taken a stand on the issue.

The legalization of physician-assisted suicide is a decision that should be made by each individual state, but depending on who gets sworn in in November, it could become legal or illegal nationwide.

http://2016election.procon.org/view.answers.election.php?questionID=002054http://www.npr.org/2014/11/20/365509889/debate-should-physician-assisted-suicide-be-legal

CC BY-SA 4.0 Physician-Assisted Suicide: Legal or No? by Joey is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Wentao 1 year ago

It is very interested to read your passage, because you point out this worth thinking question. I think if patients are in excruciating pain or has untreated illness, they should have right to choose to ask for physician assisted suicide . It also should gain their family’s agree. Hope we can improve our law in the term of help them living better.

2. Sarah 1 year ago

I think this is a really interesting post because physician assisted suicide is a huge controversy in the states. I like your stance of including different politicians opinions on this issue, Joey. I side with Hilary Clinton’s opinion that she believes “that these are the types of decisions that state governments are supposed to make. She also believes that with the right safeguards and informed decision-making, this is a right that Americans should have.” I think this is a human right to be had and it is a form of punishment to not support assisted suicide because we are subjecting someone to pain. I am interested to see how this issue will be solved and how it will affect my life.

3. Maggie 1 year ago

Ethically, I think physician assisted suicide should be a conditional issue. Patients looking to it should have to be informed in what will occur and how the process works, along with notification of their family. I don’t think it should be completely illegal, but a circumstantial event.