Although when people hear “gay right” they mostly likely will come to the conclusion that you are talking about “gay marriage,” but gay rights started as much more than that. In the late 20th century the gay community came together to fight for Liberty. The first activism movement was the Stonewall Riots which was followed closely by the Police Raids, by 1973 they had won their first victory when the American Psychiatric Association declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder. After this the gay community suffered backlash from the rest of the country, and in 1980 AIDS had risen to the surface and had been associated with homosexuals. One the actor Rock Hudson was dying from AID people’s view toward the gay community had started to shift. In 1983 the first Congressman to openly come out about being gay. The long debate about whether or not gay marriage should be legal started in the early 1990’s in Hawaii when they had a 3-1 ruling saying that there could be same sex marriage unless there was a very valid reason for them not to wed. This lead to many states legalizing making it legal and the federal government being questioned if it is against the constitution to make gay marriage illegal. On June 26 2015 the Supreme Court ruled gay marriage legal in all 50 states.

http://gaymarriage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=006275

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gay Marriage by Emma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Shelby 11 months ago

I like the evidence you used, it was very informative! I learned a lot from this! I still can’t believe how long it took for gay marriage to be legalized. I didn’t realize how important the Stonewall Riots were for the LGBT community.

2. Maggie 11 months ago

I agree, most people need to see that Gay Rights is more than Gay Marriage, but that they should have the freedom to live on an equal plane as all of us. Because they are just like all of us. Humans are humans, regardless of sexual orientation, religion, or race; everyone has the same degree of inherent human dignity.