There has been a long debate about whether the government should require children to be vaccinated. Even though there are no federal laws that mandate vaccinations, all 50 states “require” certain vaccinations for children entering public schools. According to an article published by New Republic, forty-eight states allow religious exemptions for vaccinations, and in nineteen of those states you can avoid vaccinations if your exemption is based on philosophical reasons.

Some people believe that the government should not intervene in personal medical decisions “intimately personal medical decisions should not be made by government… Freedom over one’s physical person is the most basic freedom of all, and people in a free society should be sovereign over their own bodies. When we give government the power to make medical decisions for us, we in essence accept that the state owns our bodies.”-Government Vaccines – Bad Policy, Bad Medicine Other people question whether it is a personal decision. “As more people choose not to vaccinate based on personal belief, our communities are at risk — we have seen recent outbreaks of diseases like measles, mumps and whooping cough throughout the U.S. It is prudent policy to limit such exemptions to protect our own and the public’s health.” –Kristen A. Feemster

Almost all of the Presidential Candidates support that the federal government should require children to be vaccinated for preventable diseases. Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and Jill Stein all support the government requirement, while the Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, believes that there should be no federal laws mandating vaccines.

A poll from “ISideWith.com” states that 69% of Americans believe that the government should require vaccinations, while 28% believe that it should not be a requirement. In Utah specifically, 62% support the vaccination requirement, and 34% are opposed to a vaccination requirement.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should the Federal Government Require Children to be Vaccinated for Preventable Diseases? by Katie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Wentao 11 months ago

I like your article. It is really a problem worth us to think about. Although the consequences of not receiving the vaccine is bad, but we should need have our own rights to chose do or do not receiving the vaccine. And the other thing is the government should let people knows both possibility of get vaccine or not, they can offer information to us, and we should chose do or not do it.

2. Jackson 11 months ago

While I think the rights of the individual should be respected I also believe we should not entertain the idea if it is something that puts the entire society at risk. Rather than make the question of whether we should even mandate the process of vaccination, I believe we should increase funding to educate the American public

3. Lily 11 months ago

I never thought about the fact that vaccinations are government required. I just figured that that’s what you do before you go to school. It’s very interesting that some people avoid these vaccinations for religious reasons. I personally cannot imagine not getting vaccinated knowing the risks of these diseases. However, I think it is very important to respect the values of every individual person.