Abortion: pro-choice vs. pro-life

Pro-life: the belief that government has an obligation to preserve all human life, regardless of intent, viability, or quality-of-life concerns.

Abortion is violent and considered an act of murder. Fetuses can feel pain by eight weeks and there is a standing universal agreement that pain is detected by the fetus in the first trimester. Abortion causes psychological damage and “[those] who undergo… abortion may be at increased risk for subsequent depression.”  A 2012 peer-reviewed study published by the Southern Medical Journal found that women who aborted were 154% more likely to commit suicide than women who carried to term. It is believed that life begins at conception which results in all human beings having the right to life. Abortion defies the Bible; in the Bible, it does not draw a distinction between fetus and baby. The Greek word “brephos” used in the Bible refers to both unborn child and infant. Women should not be allowed to use abortion as a contraceptive. It’s immoral to kill an unborn child for your own convenience. If women do become pregnant they should take responsibility for their actions and accept their consequences. Sex will always have the risk of pregnancy but that doesn’t mean an unborn child should not be punished for a mistake made by adults. Abortion results in the promotion of a culture in which human life is disposable. It sends the message that human life has no value. “When we tell one another that abortion is okay, we reinforce the idea that human lives are disposable, that we can throw away anything or anyone that inconveniences us.” – Randy Hultgren

Pro-choice: the belief that individuals have unlimited autonomy with respect to their own reproductive systems as long as they do not breach the autonomy of others.

Having a choice in reproduction empowers women. The choice over when and whether to have children is central to a woman’s independence and the ability to determine her future. Abortion infringes upon “a woman’s autonomy to determine her life’s course, and thus to enjoy equal citizenship stature.” Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Personhood begins after a fetus becomes “viable” or after birth, not at conception. It is said that fetuses are incapable of feeling pain. A 2005 University of California as San Francisco study said fetuses probably can’t feel pain until the 29th or 30th week of gestation. And according to Stuart W. G. Derbyshire, “fetuses cannot be held to experience pain. Not only has the biological development not yet occurred to support pain experience, but the environment after birth… is also yet to occur”. Embryos aren’t independent, self-determining beings, and abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, not a baby. The access to legal, professionally-performed abortions reduces maternal injury and death. Modern procedures are safe and in a 2012 study in Obstetrics and Gynecology it was found that a woman’s risk of dying from having an abortion is 0.6 in 100,000, while the risk of dying from giving birth is around 14 times higher (8.8 in 100,000). “Pregnancy-related complications were more common with childbirth than with abortion.” Before abortion was legalized, women would try to induce abortions by using coat hangers, knitting needles, or radiator flush, or by going to unsafe “back-alley” abortionists. The World Health Organization estimated in 2004 that unsafe abortions cause 68,000 maternal deaths worldwide each year. There is religious support for women’s reproductive choices from organizations and people of faith confirming that they are officially pro-choice; a few being the United Methodist Church, the Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. The Bible contains no explicit condemnation of abortion and does not portray the killing of a fetus as equivalent to the killing of a human being.

http://abortion.procon.org

http://wholeworldinhishands.com/world/pro_life_vs_pro-choice_arguments.html

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pro-life v. Pro-choice by Malia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Skylar
    Skylar 9 months ago

This is a very difficult topic especially at our school, being Catholic and all. Everyone has strong opinions about abortion, some support, and some don’t. This was a great topi to pick and it was very interesting to read. It gave me little more insight on the issue at large and how it does truly affect so many people. It was a perfect topic, and this should be talked about or discussed way more.

2. Profile photo of Cris
    Cris 9 months ago

Dear Malia, I am intrigued in your writing about abortion and how you tell both sides of the argument. One thing you said that stood out to me was in the pro abortion side was,”The choice over when and whether to have children is central to a woman’s independence and the ability to determine her future.” I think this interesting because I have never thought of abortion as a choice that could really determine what the rest of a woman’s life will be like. Thank you for your writing on this topic, I am looking forward to what you publish next because this is a very controversial topic that is debated about every single day.

3. Profile photo of Sarah
    Sarah 9 months ago

It was very interesting reading about this topic. I know that abortion has always been a very controversial subject. I think that abortion should be legal and an option for women. People who don’t believe in it don’t have to use it and won’t be forced to. But at least it’s there to be used.