Illegal Immigration is a huge debate in this upcoming presidential election. There are two opposite sides, Donald Trump who wants to build a wall to try and restrict the number of illegal immigrants, and Hillary Clinton who wants to relax the strict laws on illegal immigration. Building a wall will do absolutely nothing except make our debt, foreign relations, and quality of life worse.

Building a wall will cost nearly 12 billion dollars. That’s insane to spend on something that will do nothing, think if we spent that money on clean energy or cancer research there would be some major technological advances. This is 12 billion a added to the trillions the United States is already in debt, and that debt will land right back on the population.

The Wall will not work. First of all 40% of all illegal immigration is by air. Most illegal immigrants come by jet and overstay their visas. A wall can not stop that. Added to that is the fact that most illegal immigrants on the border come for work the go back. When the wall is built they will be trapped her unable to go back, only extending the “problem” because it will be to expensive and once gone they won’t be allowed back.

It might be said that deportation will fix the issues stated above. No, deporting people will never work. The system currently in use is corrupt and unfair. Trials, if you can call them that are not done in the American way. Most immigrants put on trial are not accompanied by a lawyer, breaking amendments to the constitution and mocking all that this Great country stands for. In a lot of cases the person on trial is not even present and is tried over video chat with no translator. If this isn’t bad enough many true American citizens are deported because they can not defend themselves (no lawyer). So to recap The government is literally throwing legal contributing citizens out of the country! Yet another scary fact about the terror of immigration trials is that judges can act be fired for not finishing a case quick enough. So judges are pressured to make quick, unfair decisions.

The wall will do nothing to help the country, but instead increase debt, shatter our foreign relations, and lower our quality of life. We need to band together and shut the wall down before it causes damage that can not be undone.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigration and the Wall by Trip is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jason 8 months ago

This is a very good piece of writing. I am your secret writing buddy.

2. Giselle 12 months ago

I agree with your feeling towards the useless wall, and unjust trials. Instead of worrying on how to keep people out, let us find a way to resolve the issues that are causing these people to migrant, let us find solutions for gang and cartel violence, and give the protection to those who need it.
    If you want to know more about the unjust ways in which people are deported, you should research the number of apprehensions (detainment of immigrants) and how they are causing a backlog in cases.

3. Janessa 12 months ago

I think that you make a lot of very good points in this piece. That being said, I would like to see more sources for information, just so, as a reader, I know the credibility of what you’re saying. Other than that this is a very nice story, it makes a really good point.

4. Guadalupe 1 year ago

Comment: I agree with everything you are saying and can relate to some of this, since my parents crossed the border. If they build a wall all the immigrants that work in the field will stop working and this will lead to few processed food in our local grocery store. Also if they build the wall all the agricultural jobs will not be done by some Americans. I highly agree with you and think that we will fall in need if we build the border.

5. Ian 1 year ago

I thoroughly agree with this article it would be better to save that money for creating jobs eliminating fosil fuels and getting the homeless places to live. These are just a few of the possibilities we could do with 12 billion dollars

6. Dave 1 year ago

If 40% are arriving by air, then how does the rest 60% arrive? Also, keep in mind, the constitutional rights, such as right to trial, is only intended for American citizens. These rights are not pointed at non-U.S citizens. Also, coming to a country in the first place illegal or undocumented is a problem in itself.

7. Hector 1 year ago

I completely agree with you, build a wall seems irrelevant when we can contribute more to this country using those 12 billion in homeless people, food banks and schools. Also, the facts that you used are great and help us understand the other side of the coin, not only what Donald Trump make us believe. I hope that posts like this will lead to a completely understanding of the true consequences of that wall.

8. Skylar 1 year ago

You seem very interested about the illegal immigration as being a rising epidemic. This is becoming a bigger concern especially with the upcoming election approaching and the presidential candidates, particularly the one with the plan to build the wall. I saw a whole new point of view on this subject and found it very intriguing.

9. Abbi 1 year ago

I think that you make a lot of very good points in this piece. That being said, I would like to see more sources for information, just so, as a reader, I know the credibility of what you’re saying.

10. Mae 1 year ago

I think that you make some good points. However, if you fix some of the grammar mistakes it will help persuade your audience. Also, you have many statistics, but no citations so it is hard to know if they are reliable or if they come from a bias source.

11. Matthew Benvegnu 1 year ago

As a fellow American, I respect your opinions, however I respectfully disagree. To start, your point about the 12 billion dollars shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the American economy. We spend over 400 billion dollars per year on the military, so 12 billion paid once will not even dent our budget. On top of that, this will decrease border patrol costs so it will really save us money. Also, much of the potency of your argument is neutralized by improper proofreading and use of grammar, so I would try to be more careful with that. Also, I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the US constitution. You say that they are violating laws by not giving the immigrants lawyers, however these people are not American citizens so they are not given the rights the Constitution grants to American people. I also take your points with much skepticism, as some of the factual information you claim is unsourced and seems quite far-fetched, like the air immigration point. Just some things to consider, I hope we can both learn from this experience.

12. Jean-Jules 1 year ago

I can agree somewhat on the wall, but your view of the judicial system is unjustified, as these immigrants here ILLEGALY are not US citizens and therefore do not have constitutional rights and therefore they forfeit their right to a lawyer and they have to pay for one. The system in use is not at as corrupt and unfair as you think because even if they are contributors, they are illegal and therefore not citizens.

13. Emma 1 year ago

I think you have a great point with this but I believe if you could refer to move evidence it could make your point even stronger.

14. Erin 1 year ago

I completely agree, and I think it is despicable that we have s presidential candidate who proposes such ignorant and hateful policies rooted in racism and a lack of understanding of our current system. The statistics you provided show that the wall will do nothing but hurt the entire American economy, the American people, our work force, and international relations.

15. Allie 1 year ago

Preach! Many people complain about Trump and the wall without information to back up their beliefs. You had reliable information to show why the wall is a bad idea.

16. Seth 1 year ago

First of all according to Politifact your claim about 40% of illegal immigrants coming by plane is inflated by about 10-20%. http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/sep/08/jorge-ramos/ramos-40-undocumented-immigrants-come-air/

Second, I think the important part about having a discussion about something so important is to avoid bias and to accept facts that may not necessarily support your argument. The fact remains, however, something needs to be done about immigration so on that point I agree with you.

17. Caroline 1 year ago

I completely agree that we do not need a wall around the US. Not only is it expensive and overall pretty pointless but it would make our foreign affairs extremely hard. I read an article about the wall on yahoo and it said that basically everyone else would hate us which would be a serious problem for us and hurt our economy extensively.

18. Annika 1 year ago

You seem very passionate about this subject, it may help help get your point across if you put more love into your work by perhaps reading it through for correct grammar. Other than that I see a whole new point of view on the subject. I would also like if you cited your sources allowing us, the reader, to further research if felt so inclined. Keep up the hard work and talking about what you believe in!

19. Mason 1 year ago

Really good point. I think that Donald Trump supporters support the wall but really don’t realize how much this will cost and the implications it will burden on the United States. 12 billion dollars could be used to fund cancer research or used to reduce our national debt. Really good point!

20. Jackson 1 year ago

This is very nice story. The facts in your article are interesting because I never knew that most illegal immigrants come by air and over stay their visas. So all and all this article just shows why we don’t need a wall for over 12 billion dollars of tax payers money.