There are many pros that support animal testing. For example, animal testing has contributed to numerous life-saving cures and treatments. The California Biomedical Research Association states that almost every medical breakthrough that has occurred in the past 100 years has been a result of animals. An example of this is experiments where dogs’ pancreases removed led to the discovery of insulin, essential to saving the lives of diabetics. Another pro is the fact that animals are similar to human beings in many ways. Chimpanzees share 99% of their DNA with humans and mice share 98% of theirs. As a result, animals make appropriate research subjects. All mammals, including humans, are descended from common ancestors that have the same set of organs that function the same. A third pro is the fact that sometimes animals benefit from being tested on. Vaccines tested on animals has helped millions of them survive many diseases like rabies, distemper, feline leukemia, infectious hepatitis virus, and tetanus.

Some of the arguments against animal testing include the fact that animal testing is cruel and inhumane. According to the Humane Society International, animals that are used in experiments are often subjected to cruel treatments including, force feeding, forced inhalation, food and water deprivation, and prolonged periods of physical restraint. Another con is that alternative testing methods are available to replace the need for animals. In vitro (in glass) testing, which is studying cell cultures in a petri dish can produce relevant results because actual human cells can be used. A third con is the fact that animals are very different from humans and therefore make poor test subjects. The anatomic, metabolic, and cellular differences between animals and humans make it so that results found from animals testing often cannot be applied to human beings.

News Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/animal-testing/

Source: http://animal-testing.procon.org/

CC BY-SA 4.0 Animal Testing: Pro vs. Con by Sarah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.