In recent years immigration has become a major issue facing our country both sides of the aisle have their own views of how to handle the situation which has led to a stalemate in immigration reform. I will look at the two major parties candidates to see the differing view.

Donald Trump has gotten a lot of attention on immigration and illegal immigration one of the biggest platforms of his campaign has been to build a wall stretching along the southern border of our country. His platform, which is stated on his website, is summarized well by this statement; “ Welcome those who embrace our way of life, but keep out immigrants and refugees who don’t through rigorous vetting.” This statement represents the ideas of the republican party well by keeping americans first and limiting immigration.

Hillary Clinton proposes a much different plan than trumps, she wants to secure our border as well but at the same time she wants to make the path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants easier and with less barriers. According to her website, “We need comprehensive immigration reform with a path to full and equal citizenship”. Hillary Clinton also stays on her party’s side on this issue. Saying she will support and expand The President’s current actions through executive action.

Photo by laverrue

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Candidates’ Stances on Immigration by Jackson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.