Abortion is one of the most widely disputed topics in America today. People are either for it or against it. Those who have opinions over the subject usually feel very strong in that way.

Those who are pro-choice say that the US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a fundamental right guaranteed by the US Constitution. They say that it is the woman’s choice and they have every right to what happens to their bodies. Also, those who are pro-choice say that nearly all abortions take place in the first trimester, the state when a fetus cannot exist without it’s mother.

Abortion is a safe medical procedure and they have less than a 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not actually affect a woman’s health or future ability to become pregnant. They also say that those who were raped, or in cases of incest, that having the baby would cause further psychological harm to the victim. Another thing they say is that teenage mothers have less of a chance of a good future if they are forced to keep their baby.

Those who are pro-life say that “since life begins at conception, abortion is akin to murder as it is the act of taking a human life” http://womensissues.about.com/od/reproductiverights/a/AbortionArgumen.htm. They also say that no civilized society permits one human to intentionally harm or take the life of another human without punishment, and abortion is no different. Adoption is always an option and it will accomplish the same result without killing the child.

They claim that abortions can cause medical complications later in life. They say that in the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. Many Americans who pay taxes are opposed to abortion, therefore it’s morally wrong to use tax dollars to fund abortion. They also say Those who choose abortions are often minors or young women with insufficient life experience to understand fully what they are doing. Many have lifelong regrets afterwards.
Photo by Elvert Barnes

CC BY-SA 4.0 Opinions of Abortion by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of krivera
    krivera 5 months ago

Dear Anna,
    I think that this is a very touchy subject, and I have talked about it on my account to.
    I thought that abortions were horrible but now i know a lot more than I used to know and I don’t know where I stand. Where do you think you stand? Because you didn’t say in the post. Thank you for taking the time and effort to read my comment, please reply.
    Sincerely, Kariangely Rivera

• Profile photo of Anna Author
      Anna 5 months ago

Hi! Personally I am pro choice. I believe that the woman has every right to decide what happens to her body because we don’t know what kind of circumstance she may be in.