Whether you consider yourself liberal, conservative, or moderate, we can all agree that gun violence has become a pressing issue in our country and world today. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, every year 111,000 people on average are shot due to gun violence. This number is simply unacceptable, so how do we fix it? I took a look at liberal and conservative views to see what they thought, and you can decide for yourself what you think is best.

Most democrats believe that gun violence should be solved by implementing gun control laws. They believe that in order to reduce gun violence, we must reduce the amount of guns on the streets. According to On The Issues, “We should require a photo license I.D., a background check, and a gun safety test to buy a new handgun. We support more federal gun prosecutors and giving states and communities another 10,000 prosecutors to fight gun crime.”

Most Republicans believe that there should be other ways to reduce gun violence besides implementing gun control. They believe that taking away guns would be a violation of the Second Amendment and therefore, unacceptable. They believe that the way to reduce gun violence is to get criminals off the street and into prison.

As you can see, both parties have very polar view on how to fix this issue. But despite our differences, we need to work together to solve this.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Violence by Mimi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.