Most of the issues of gun control stream from the words of the second amendment. The second amendment states that “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” The debate then produced from this brings in the two sides of individuals having the right to protect themselves or as a whole, the US, we are protected by a trained militia, in the hopes of eliminating gun violence and death.

Today there are federal and state laws enacted for bearing arms but it is altogether possible to own a gun. Federal laws include background checks, an investigation website following illegal gun trafficking, requirement to report gun thefts, etc. State laws differ depending on the state but registering requirements, background checks, and a waiting period are all common state laws.

Today there has been a shift to the slightly over half majority of people wanting gun rights protected and around 46% of people wanting gun ownership controlled. Today, around 4-45% of households own a gun and around 30-34% of adults own a gun. 67% of people say that they own a gun for protection against crime.
As citizens of the US, it is important for us to think about how we want to run our country and what type of control, or lack of control, we want on guns and how that choice will affect every member of the US. Which are you in favor for?

http://gun-control.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=006436
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Control? by Caroline is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.