The federal budget is one impending topic in the 2016 election. One question is who are we indebted to? According to CNN, 67.5% of the the federal debt is held by U.S citizens and agencies in pensions in bonds.

Some of those agencies include local governments, pension funds, and mutual funds. 32.5%  the debt is held by foreign countries. As of May, 12.9 trillion of the debt was owned by American Citizens. Many times, retirees will purchase these bonds for their grandchildren or themselves to allow them to save up money and grow it over time.

The current debt is on it’s way to reaching 20 trillion. This will be a topic which will come up frequently heading towards the election in November to see who will be the next one to deal and inherit it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Federal Debt by Adrian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.