I just read a Wikipedia article:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_reform

I choose this article because my senior project is about deportations. I was also interested in finding out interesting facts about deportations. I also know that if I read that article then I was going to make my understanding about deportations more clear.

One sentence from this article that stands out for me is: “In the fiscal year 2013 ICE removed 151,834 individuals who didn’t have a criminal conviction. In 2013, ICE released thirty-six thousand individuals with criminal records, including 193 found convicted of murder and 426 convicted of sexual assault.” I think this is not fair because people that did not committed crimes were still deported. I think that it would of be fair if they only deported people with crimes instead of separating innocent people from their family.I’m pretty sure this is accurate, because according to ICE announces FY 2013 Removal Numbers, “ Nearly 60 percent of ICE’s total removals had been previously convicted of a criminal offense, and that number rises to 82 percent for individuals removed from the interior of the U.S. Other than convicted criminals, the agency’s enforcement priorities include: those apprehended while attempting to unlawfully enter the United States, illegal re-entrants – individuals who returned to the U.S. after being previously removed by ICE – and immigration fugitives.”

Another sentence that I agree with was: “embrace those responsibilities see little option but to remain in the shadows, or risk their families being torn apart” This stood out for me because I know people that has gone through that situation that they have to do responsibilities but they have to keep it on the low hiding from immigration and at the same time risking their family from getting caught. It also stood out to me because that is describing the live of an immigrant in the United States.

I double-checked this fact through the article My Immigracion storyShe was driving to work when a police officer pulled her over because she wasn’t wearing her seat belt. For anyone else it’s just a ticket. For a single mother that is illegal it’s “I have to go to court, I have to show identification… They will find out I am illegal.. I will be deported… I have to call my lawyer… Who will take care of my daughters? ” I hate seeing my mother in constant fear. I hate hearing family members and friends calling us to be careful because in Hudson ICE was seen deporting families. She’s scared. I’m scared. We’re all scared. Living the American dream shouldn’t consist of being scared every second of the day.”, which makes me feel pretty sure that it is true.

What I learned from this article is that 151,834 innocent people was deported and separate from their family. I also learned that immigrant people have responsibilities like other people  but with the difference that they have to hide from ICE and people that is legal has much of a normal life, they don’t have to risk their family from being separate and us undocumented people can not go to work without having fear that our daily life is on danger but mostly fear of not seen our family again. This article showed me the importance of having my family together and appreciate every single thing they do and remember every laughter we have together because we are so close to each other and we all run with fear of getting separe/ getting deport. A question I have for a future research is how many more people is going to get deported? Are they criminal? When is racism against immigrants is going to come to an end? Why can’t the government stop deporting people?

1. LILIAN NANCIA 12 months ago

Thanks for sharing someone elses experience, its a huge amount of people who gets deported and leaves their family behind taht really makes me feel sad and
    mad

2. Matthew Benvegnu 12 months ago

I appreciate your perspective, however as a fellow citizen of this country I respectfully disagree with you. To start, it seems that you have a bit of a misunderstanding of US immigration law. These people are undocumented because they crossed the border illegally. This means that when you say 131,000 innocent people were deported, you leave out that fact that they are no actually innocent, they violated a law they clearly knew existed. To that point, anyone who crosses the border illegally with their family or does so alone and then starts a family here is clearly not doing what is best for their family, or they would have planned ahead and not committed such a crime. The immigration laws are in place in this country for a reason, and I cannot see a reason the United States government would owe foreigners who are breaking their laws anything.

3. Lula 12 months ago

I also, have thought a lot about deportation. I liked the way you incorporated examples into this post. When you mentioned the immigrant mom being pulled over, it reminded me of my friend’s mom who was once pulled over,and upon attending court, she was mandated a deportation back to Mexico along with her entire family.