As our world becomes more and more urbanized and demands more energy to sustain itself, the topic of whether alternate energy sources can effectively replace fossil fuels comes into play. We’re on our way to completely depleting the world of its natural resources, but researchers have come up with some potential ways to keep up with our fast paced society without compromising the future of our planet.

One method is to reduce oil drilling. Some say oil drilling is “…bad for national security, bad for our economy and bad for the environment,” (alternativeenergy.procon.org), while others argue  “…we could make more domestic energy available to Americans in the future, while sending a strong positive supply signal to markets today, potentially putting downward pressure on prices..” (alternativeenergy.procon.org).

Another method is creating green jobs for economic recovery. Some think this would solve two major problems- the economy and global warming- at the same time. Things like installing solar panels and planting trees have to be done by humans. Others oppose this idea by saying renewable fuels would “…represent only a tiny fraction of our energy needs and won’t lead us out of the economic and environmental wilderness…” (alternativeenergy.procon.org).

A popular way to utilize alternative energy is through the use of solar panels. Some say “Solar power is a prime choice in developing an affordable and feasible global power source that can substitute fossil fuels in all the world’s climate zones…” (alternativeenergy.procon.org). Others counter this by saying “The sun’s energy is too widely dispersed and the land area required to collect it too vast for solar to become a large-scale power source…” (alternativeenergy.procon.org). 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Could alternative energy replace fossil fuels? by Heidi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Mae
    Mae 8 months ago

This post is both informative and easy to read. I like how you incorporated both sides of the argument. This seems well researched, and I can tell this is a topic you are passionate about! I like the idea of green jobs, and I think that our government should look into the possibility of creating more of such jobs. Thanks for the post!

2. Profile photo of Olivia
    Olivia 9 months ago

I think solar panels would be an excellent investment in clean energy for our country. great work!