Here’s some compelling information I found about this controversial subject.

http://abortion.procon.org

Pros:

• The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a “fundamental right” guaranteed by the US Constitution. (1)
  • Reproductive choice empowers women by giving them control over their own bodies. (2)
  • Personhood begins after a fetus becomes “viable” (able to survive outside the womb) or after birth, not at conception. (3)
  • Fetuses are incapable of feeling pain when most abortions are performed. (4)
  • Access to legal, professionally-performed abortions reduces maternal injury and death caused by unsafe, illegal abortions. (5)
  • Modern abortion procedures are safe and do not cause lasting health issues such as cancer and infertility. (6)
  • Women who receive abortions are less likely to suffer mental health problems than women denied abortions. (7)

Cons:

• Abortion is murder. (1)
  • Life begins at conception, so unborn babies are human beings with a right to life. (2)
  • Fetuses feel pain during the abortion procedure. (3)
  • Abortion is the killing of a human being, which defies the word of God. (4)
  • The decision in Roe v. Wade was wrong and should be overturned. (5)
  • Abortions cause psychological damage. (6)
  • Abortions reduce the number of adoptable babies. (7)

With all these back and forth arguments about abortion, there is still much debate as to the actual law on abortion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States

The current judicial interpretation of the U.S. Constitution regarding abortion in the United States, following the Supreme Court of the United States‘s 1973 landmark decision in Roe v. Wade, and subsequent companion decisions, is that abortion is legal but may be restricted by the states to varying degrees. States have passed laws to restrict late term abortions, require parental notification for minors, and mandate the disclosure of abortion risk information to patients prior to the procedure.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/states-banned-abortions/story?id=18703520

“Before 2010, no states banned abortions outright at any stage of pregnancy. Nebraska started the trend with a 20-week abortion ban in April 2010. In 2011, Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, and Oklahoma followed suit, and in 2012, Arizona, Georgia, and Louisiana passed curbs of their own. Last week, Arkansas became the first state to approve an abortion ban this year.”

Many of these states that have tried to enact many limits on a women’s rights, have seen many republican governors, senators, and legislative leaders. A decrease in democratic politicians in these states is no coincidence, especially as the people vie for stricter laws regarding abortions and pro-life.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Both Sides to Abortion by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Shelby
    Shelby 9 months ago

I think it’s important to recognize the pros and cons of abortion and take into consideration both arguments over whether to keep or get rid of abortion. Both sides are valid, I think that the matter of abortion is dependent upon the circumstance and should be primarily up to the mother not the law.