Education, or lack thereof, is an issue that affects millions of people not only in the United States but around the world. There are some 63 million adolescents worldwide, according to UNESCO, who are currently out of school. This lack of education is concerning because studies have shown that obtaining an education can result in a decrease in poverty, increased incomes, improved gender equality and improved health. While significant progress has been made in the past decade the issue of low accessibility to education still remains, especially for the world’s young women. The primary reason why many children do not attend school in developing countries is because of conflict or because of the economic burden associated with educating a child. Many kids are still a source of income for families and sending those children off to school, something that costs money, would be devastating to the millions of impoverished families throughout the world. Providing free education and free school lunches to these children would not only make the economic burden on their parents less severe but would also reduce the rates of malnutrition amongst children. This effort would cost an estimated $27 billion each year but could easily be paid for by the top 6 countries in terms of defense spending if they allocated a mere 3.5% of that budget towards global education.

Source 1

Source 2

CC BY-SA 4.0 Barriers to Education by Seth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.