One of the large concerns of the American people is gun control and whether or not we should continue with the same level of freedom or make more strict laws. Guns should only be legal to a certain extent. Some say that we should take away guns altogether, This is not the correct way to go about correcting any problem, if no one was allowed to buy guns they would still be bought and sold like drugs and there would be even less regulation and more violence would occur because people would kill to get a gun. As of the moment pretty much anyone can go into a Walmart and buy a gun, not just a handgun but a wide variety of semiautomatic weapons, this is just asking for trouble.

The correct way to regulate guns is to limit a number of guns slightly, heavy background checks and for concealed weapons, the gun must be registered with your name and a picture of you on a public forum based on your geographic location. In recent year gun sales have skyrocketed now there are more than 300 million guns in private ownership. Think, if this number was lower wouldn’t the murder rate be lower. Admittedly  this will not stop mass shootings, not a single one. But it will prevent the common criminal from making a snap decision to shoot someone. There is no way to stop mass shootings, even if guns were illegal there will always be a way to get one and a crazy person will not be deterred by a law. However shooting crime in places like Chicago, NYC, and Detroit will go down because there will be no snap decisions to shoot someone. If we as a nation restrict who gets a gun we can stop the large amounts of crime.

Some may say “oh it’s our right to own a gun it’s the second amendment” well the amendments also say that we have the right to change the amendments. And we should, for our country’s sake. We can’t go on having kids make stupid decisions like shooting someone. By amending the second amendment we can prevent thousands of deaths each year, and who knows maybe one of the kids not killed by gun violence will grow up to be the next president.

Another thing gun rights activists tend to argue is that if there are no guns people will just stab each other. That is dead wrong, it is much easier to shoot a person than stab a person because it is less personal and the common criminal isn’t a bloodthirsty monster, most shooting crimes are spur of the moment decisions that are made, stabbing is a more personal thing, it’s closer and you have to look into the other person’s eyes as the life leaves them. A gun is point-and-shoot, nothing personal about it just another drop in the pond. By taking away guns we prevent the common criminal from making life-ending decisions.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Control by Trip is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lilian 11 months ago

Dear trip :
    I am surprised by your post , “Gun Control” because most people be buying guns. Most of the people that buys guns are people that are involved with gangs.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “if no one was allowed to buy guns they would still be bought and solid like drugs and there would be even less regulation and more violence would occur because people would kill to get a gun.” I think this statement is not true because if people was not allowed to buy guns than no one would be able to have one even if there were to kill each other for a gun. Also I think that if someone wants to kill they can use another weapon it does not has to be a gun.
    Another sentence that I picked was: “One of the large concerns of the American people is gun control and whether or not we should continue with the same level of freedom or make more strict laws.” This stood out for me because I think they should make a law where no one would be allowed to buy a gun. Guns should be banned.
    Your post reminds me of something that I seen on tv. There was people shooting to the sky and then many people died because the shots hit them.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post sounds interesting and I think it can lead to a better solution.

Trip 11 months ago

When something is made illegal there is immediately a black market for that item. We can observe this by looking at prohibition in the 1920’s, the government outlawed alcohol but there was a black market for it, so alcohol was still bought and sold just without government regulation. So as a byproduct of this more people were getting killed over obtaining alcohol, and many more people died of alcohol poisoning. It’s the same principle with guns, if guns were totally taken away the same thing would happen, people would get killed to obtain a gun. This is why I said we need more regulation but it would be a mistake to take away guns totally. As to the point you made about using other weapons, using a knife or bat what have you is much more up close and personal than a gun, not everyone is willing to look into someone’s eyes as they die. Thank you for reading my post and for your input.

2. MyronJordan 11 months ago

I highly agree with you because i have known multiple people who are victims of gun violence and know that their needs to be some type of control on these dangerous weapons.