I just read a Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_aggression

I agree with this article because abusive relationship is a type of aggression which harm is caused by damaging someone mentally and physically. Relational Aggression gained media attention, movies etc . Relational Attention is defined as type of aggression that is “intended to harm others through deliberate manipulation of their social standing and relationships”.

One sentence from this article that stands out for me is “In another study by Baldry it was found that boys are more likely to engage in bullying behaviors such as threats, physical harm, rejection, and name-calling, while girls are most likely to use name-calling, teasing, rumors, rejection, and taking personal belongings.” I think this is common because I’ve seen this happened in my personal experience and agree with it 100 percent.

I’m pretty sure this is accurate, because Male bullies often fall in the socially rejected category while female bullies tend to fall in the controversial category. They can be popular yet not liked.

Another sentence that I agree with “Research shows that there are three types of rejected or unpopular adolescents who are very likely to be involved in bullying behavior.First type includes adolescents who are overly aggressive: they tend to get into fights, get involved in antisocial activities, and are often involved in bullying; second type includes adolescents who are withdrawn or timid and exceedingly shy and inhibited and who are more likely to be victims; third- aggressive- withdrawn- type adolescents tend to have trouble controlling their hostility, but they are also very shy and nervous about initiating friendships.” This stood out for me because I see myself around people that have these symptoms, so now that I’m learning more information about this I will bring it to their attention. It somewhat bothers me that people would want to damage their partner or people around them and not feel any type of way.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Checking claims in wikipedia article about abusive relationships by Surako is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lilian 11 months ago

Dear Surako:
    I am surprise with your post, “Abusive relationships,” because I know that is something that happens everywhere in the world. Also, not many guys think that is something important to research about.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Most studies of relational aggression have involved children or adolescents; the study of relational aggression in adults presents problems.” I think the aggression is not something that adults should do in front of children. Children and adolescents should never be around when there is an argument. Just as well, adults should never hit each other, mostly when there is a kid in the house.

Another sentence that I liked was: “Findings of a study by Rivers and Smith have shown that while verbal aggression occurs with similar frequency in both sexes, direct physical aggression is more common among boys and indirect aggression is more common among girls.” This stood out for me because girls can’t really defend themselves so they can’t really do physical harm, but I know that they can harm emotionally. Boys mostly scream to girls and it can lead to physical and emotional harm and that should not be the way. Girls are more sensitive and there should be something or somebody to stop that.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was talking with my ex/boyfriend. I didn’t want to be with him anymore. I needed to focus on school and our relationship was not that healthy. Most of the time we were arguing. He got really mad and he started screaming and grabbed my arm really hard. Afterwards, I used to see him everyday, not because I wanted to, but because he is related to my brother in law. That was the last time I talked to him.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this post is really interesting to me because I want to learn about more wrong things that happens in this world. It is really good to share thoughts and things that one knows and others don’t.