The book From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun consists about a young boy who is 13 years old, ever since he could remember it has always been his mother and him.

This boy’s name is Melanin , his father disappeared when he was just a little boy. Melanin and his friends have always made fun of “fags” or “gays” as they like to call them.

His mother has a friend named Kristin, Kristin is a “white woman”. One day Melanin’s mother confesses to him that she was “in love with Kristin.”

Right now Melanin is in shock, because he doesn’t want his mom to be a “Dyke”. They are now both stuck between prejudice and embarrassment. Melanin is not ok with this because he knows that his friends will make fun of him, but he also has to think about his mother’s happiness.

His mother, however wants the best for Melanin and she is willing to push her feelings to the side just so Melanin would be content and happy, but she wants him to also have consideration with her . She hopes he’ll one day understand it’s her right to be happy and feel loved once again.

Photo by SanFranAnnie

CC BY-SA 4.0 Prejudice and Judgement by April is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.