You know that feeling?

The one that comes on a bone-chilling, dreary day

As a ray of sunshine lands on your back and warms you from inside out, reminding you  of the summer sun.

The pleasant one that comes when you rush back home from playing out in the snow, To a living room full of laughter and a cup of cocoa on your tongue.

How about the feeling when you find your favorite childhood storybook when you’re cleaning and it brings a small curve of joy onto your face?

The bliss that comes with a smell that floods your mind with so many memories

That it makes you sigh deeply with satisfaction and peace?

Or the flutter your heart gives,

Hearing a child say a phrase with the wonder you so vividly remember yourself?

The feeling that blossoms from deep within your chest to warm you from head to toes,

From remembering something that happened with friends long back,

Though it feels like just yesterday.

Yet it leaves you with a longing peace,

A bittersweet sadness for the days passed into memories.

It’s sad sometimes, how much we hold onto the past and feel so much comfort from it.

People say that it is bad to dwell in the past.

That it will bring us down and not let us move forward as people.

Yet, are you so sure of that?

These same recollections can remind you that there is always

A way to happiness in this world,

And can brighten any dull day with its warm bubbles.

This reminiscence can show that not everything is bad.

They can prove how much you’ve grown as a person,

How much you have learned.

It can also remind you to take things slow and enjoy life, especially the little things in it.

You learn to cherish what you have, through what you have had.

You learn that you don’t have to forget and leave everything behind to grow as a person.

Are you aware of this feeling?

It has a lovely name too, sounding much like the warm whispers of feeling that it ignites within you.

How does the word nostalgia sound?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Warm Feelings~ by Thaarini Swami is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alli 5 months ago

Hi Thaarini,

I thoroughly enjoyed your poem. Based on this poem, it seems like you are an amazing writer. Your use of imagery was fantastic and I could relate to every line you wrote. I also like the ending of your story where you state the word nostalgia as the feeling you were describing, and I too agree that nostalgia is such a warm sounding word. Thanks for sharing your great poem!

2. Aleah 11 months ago

Dear Thaarini,

I am writing a comment about, your post, “Warm Feelings,” because It made me think about life.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Though it feels like just yesterday.” I think this is crazy truth because sometimes reliving an old memory is like reliving that moment.

Another sentence that caught my eye was: “Are you aware of this feeling? It has a lovely name too, sounding much like the warm whispers of feeling that it ignites within you. How does the word nostalgia sound?” This stood out for me because it caused me to wonder if we could live life without looking into the past or would life just be a big circle. Constantly repeating the same mistakes, not knowing we made them.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. When I lived in my dorms and I stayed in my dorm room, the warm feelings I shared at home with my family was very useful.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I realize that old memories good or bad can still bring a warm feeling.

3. Katie 11 months ago

I enjoyed this writing, you used great details in the beginning that I could really just slowly read and be taken back to my own childhood.